back to article Developers offered browser-based fun in VSCode.dev and Java action in Visual Studio Code

Microsoft has whipped the covers off yet another take on code-in-the-browser with a lightweight version of Visual Studio Code, while unveiling the version 1.0 release of support for Red Hat Java in the freebie source wrangler. It comes after last month's preview of the code editor that runs entirely in the browser, and will …

1. AMBxx Silver badge
    Alert

Internet Explorer

That's just cruel.

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Why

Why companies like McDonalds don't open facilities where people can flip burgers after work for "fun"?

3. david 12

Internet Explorer blank screen indicates that the system is using a "cross platform" Open Source Java Script Library. Which long ago made the deliberate decision that "will not support IE" means "will detect IE and refuse to load".

It's become commonplace now for corporations to use "not supported" as an excuse for "will deliberately break" (viz Adobe Flash), but it started in the Java Script frameworks.

1. captain veg Silver badge

The offshore code monkeys employed in my organisation took a product developed initially by me, and which worked in all major browsers including IE10+, and made it Chrome-only. They rebuilt everything using Angular, which has something to do with it. But to make really certain, their startup code uses ES6 features (the spread operator, notably) that are unsupported in any version of IE. So right at the start IE throws an exception and the app stops dead before Angular can do its perverted things with the DOM and the user is left facing a blank screen.

I remember when cross-browser compatibility was the most common excuse for loading up with framework bloat.

-A.

4. msobkow Silver badge

Parity with Eclipse? *LOL*

Netbeans is the one that drives the mindshare now, not Eclipse. The Apache license for Netbeans is far freer, and companies LOVE that. It is also a much better IDO, IMNSHO (In My Not So Humble Opinion.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021