back to article Huawei appears to have quenched its thirst for power in favour of more efficient 5G

The "G" in 5G stands for Green, if the hours of keynotes at the Mobile Broadband Forum in Dubai are to be believed. Run by Huawei, the forum was a mixture of in-person event and talking heads over occasionally grainy video and kicked off with an admission by Ken Hu, rotating chairman of the Shenzhen-based electronics giant, …

1. Filippo Silver badge

I admit I haven't followed the development of 5G very closely, but I'm still not quite sure I get the point. Most of the time, proponents seem to either repeat marketing statements ("it will connect everything!") that don't have much technical meaning, or to tout improved speed.

But 4G already has way more than enough bandwidth for common usage outside of maybe hi-def video, and IoT gadgets are unlikely to consume much data at all except for those that stream video around. Mind you, it's always good to have more of a resource, but I don't see how more bandwidth alone can bring any sort of revolution or "connect everything", whatever that means.

Especially given that I still find mysterious not-spots in places where they don't make sense, and I still frequently find that I have no data connection even while my phone is showing 4 signal bars out of 5. Is 5G going to help with that? If not, what's the point?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021