back to article Google trims the cut its Play Store takes from digital subscriptions, ebooks, music streaming

Google is cutting the fee it charges Play Store app developers for digital subscriptions from 30 per cent during the first 12 months to 15 per cent at all times. Previously, Android developers selling digital subscriptions in their apps endured the 30 per cent rate during the first year, after which the fee percentage would be …

  1. Falmari Silver badge
    Unhappy

    3% pay costs for the other 97%

    3% pay costs for the other 97% hardly seems fair.

    Also why should the million+ revenue generators pay twice as much per download transaction (30% v 15%). When the costs to the store are the same for security scans and the same per download bandwidth costs. The more they generate the more they already pay.

    1. IGotOut Silver badge

      Re: 3% pay costs for the other 97%

      Because the free stuff is rammed full of ads. And who gets a big juicy cut of the revenue from the ads?

    2. Cuddles Silver badge

      Re: 3% pay costs for the other 97%

      "3% pay costs for the other 97% hardly seems fair."

      Why not? That's just how progressive taxation works, which is generally considered the most fair way of doing things. Those with large incomes pay more than those with small. Since a very small number have incomes orders of magnitude higher than most, that small percentage ends up paying the vast majority of fees. The alternative is for everyone to pay the same flat fee, which is unfair on the little people who may well not make enough to afford the fee at all*. And unlike actual taxation where a government could just say tough and come and take it anyway, for an app store that means you've driven away 97% of your developers. Even if those 97% aren't making Google a significant income directly, the fact that they are there is a large part of the reason people use Android phones and the app store at all.

      * A combination of the two doesn't make any difference. Any flat fee is too much for those with zero income, while no flat fee can be large enough to compensate for the difference in percentage fees from apps with many orders of magnitude higher income than others.

    3. iron Silver badge

      Re: 3% pay costs for the other 97%

      > 3% pay costs for the other 97% hardly seems fair.

      So which rich, tax avoiding twat are you? Bezos? Murdoch?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

  • Enter your comment

  • Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021