back to article BlackMatter ransomware gang will target agriculture for its next harvest – Uncle Sam

The US CISA cybersecurity agency has warned that the Darkside ransomware gang, aka BlackMatter, has been targeting American food and agriculture businesses – and urges security pros to be on the lookout for indicators of compromise. Well known in Western infosec circles for causing the shutdown of the US Colonial Pipeline, …

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Pirate

Cyber Privateers - reminds me of Sir Francis Drake

From the article: Vladimir Putin's country has been acused of hosting criminal extortionists on condition their online theft campaigns are never turned against ex-Soviet Union nations

Back in the day nations hired privateers to attack rival/enemy shipping, and leave theirs alone. In Sir Francis Drake's case, he was (probably) operating under Naval orders to attack and plunder Spanish ships.

So if these ransomware gangs are more like PRIVATEERS, are they REALLY being SANCTIONED to do their evil deeds? And, as part of a MILITARY strategy?

(and what would it take to drop a weapon on their heads, while they're operating from inside of Russia, without causing a war?)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: what would it take

I reckon the best "revenge on Russia" might be to make sure Putin *stays* in charge, so his demonstrable mismanagement of the country as a whole keeps it as the weakened power we see today. However, as a strategy, this is unfairly harsh on ordinary Russians, who deserve better.

2. Clausewitz 4.0
      Devil

Re: Cyber Privateers - reminds me of Sir Francis Drake

The Old Powers will eventually acknowledge the New Order. Neo/Colonialism is over. Win-Win alliances shall be the rule.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like