back to article Engineers investigating iffy solar array latch on NASA's Lucy as probe begins long journey to Trojan asteroids

NASA's Lucy is on its way to the Trojan asteroids, but engineers have already spotted a problem with one of the probe's 7.3-metre solar arrays. The spacecraft was sent on its way from Cape Canaveral's Space Force Station's SLC-41 pad on Saturday atop an Atlas V rocket. The mission is set to last 12 years, over which the probe …

1. Dwarf
    Paris Hilton

So, the summary is that Lucy couldn't wait to get her kit out for a trojan ?

I'm sure there must be an innuendo in there somewhere, but I'm damned if I can see it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

innuendo

If you just keep trying to put the innuendo in, and then take it out, and then in again, out, in, &etc, I'm sure eventually something will come to mind.

2. Mark 85

When I first heard the name some time ago, I thought it referenced the Peanuts character. Looks like I was probably right as Lucy (the comic character) had a way of messing up the best efforts of everyone else.

I am curious though as space is a vacuum so no wind to shift the array.

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

>>I am curious though as space is a vacuum so no wind to shift the array.

so you have never heard of Solar Sails then? Plenty (for specific values of plenty) of wind in space.... just not a mixture of O2/N2/CO2 (plus impurities) like we have here on the pale blue dot.

1. Mark 85

You're right. I mentally spaced things a bit. I'll go stand in the naughty corner for a bit.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Alert level

At this point all NASA has revealed is that Lucy didn't record a latching.

It could be a latching sensor fault or a deployed but unlatched panel or a partially deployed panel and they are analyzing the data to determine what it is.

once that is determined, They can start to determine how it will affect Lucy.

So we're at a butt clenching moment but not yet a twisted knickers moment.

I wish the best for the boffins (but no pints yet).

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Alert level

we're at a butt clenching moment but not yet a twisted knickers moment.

I salute your use of advanced technical terminology. Have a pint.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Laundry day for NASA.

What happens when NASA resorts to using a cheap* and cheerful washing machine door switch to sense things are closed (or in this case unfurled and locked in place).

*the lowest contract bid price.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like