back to article Samsung starts cranking out 14nm DDR5 DRAM

Samsung has announced it's fired up mass production of DDR5 DRAM built using five-layer extreme ultraviolet lithography (EUV). The Korean giant debuted its EUV-etched DDR in March 2020, but offered only DDR4 built with a four-layer process and promised DDR5 sometime in 2021. In March 2021 the company delivered, by showing off …

1. six_tymes

just like every generation of DDR, it improves over time. Companies make improvements over it's life cycle. So, it's dumb to complain now.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

I assumed they were being a little sarcastic about the marketing.

I'd much prefer it if marketidiots published the actual specs and error bars. Then we could make a proper informed choice, with none of this "up to" bollocks.

It took years before LED diode manufacturers did that though.

1. Mishak Silver badge

A bit like cleaning product marketing

"Kills up to 100% of bacteria" - which can also be read as "may kill nothing".

1. EricB123 Silver badge

Re: A bit like cleaning product marketing

The soap companies don't mention it takes over 20 minutes to kill most bacteria. I have better things to do with my time.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Power savings not directly relevant

As long as we still keep using more memory, we'll keep using more power. This just makes the increments a little less.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

how times change

When I first got interested in computers, the state of the art was a 16K DRAM. It clocked at the same speed as the CPU, so it was bloody slow, too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like