back to article Oh my, Grandma, what a big meteorite you have right there on your pillow under that hole in the roof

It was almost midnight in Golden, British Columbia, Canada, a Rocky Mountain city near the border with Alberta, when a meteorite crashed through the roof and landed next to the head of 66-year-old grandma Ruth Hamilton. According to numerous reports, Hamilton had been asleep for hours on October 3rd, when her dog barked twice …

1. W.S.Gosset Silver badge
    Alien

A Softball is 9.7cm in diameter

Meaning that space rock was 25.1 metres in size!

This pointless calculation has been brought to you by the Meaninglessly Over-Precise and Under-Accurate Numericalism Department.

1. W.S.Gosset Silver badge

Re: A Softball is 9.7cm in diameter

This event will also form a useful contribution to our ongoing research project: "Do Dogs Cause Meteorites?" The seed for this topic was our lead researcher --a notably peevish and dim individual-- noting that a well-known Sherlock Holmes incident could just as easily have been labelled: "The Meteorite That Did Not Crash Through The Roof At Night." After it was explained to him, he sought the bottle then a grant and here we are.

2. Tom 7 Silver badge

Re: A Softball is 9.7cm in diameter

You too suffer from Overused Calculator Disorder!

2. Marc 13
    Boffin

*cough*

Standards please...

"a meteorite the size of a football field hits Earth" Is that an American football "field", or a (real) football *pitch*?

And how is area relevant to a 3 dimensional lump of rock/ice?

But most importantly, these should be in el Reg std. units... therefore (if a football pitch) 194.89nWa.

*/cough*

1. grumpyoldeyore
      Go

Re: Standard Please

I'll see your American and Association football fields and raise you an Australian Rules Football oval

https://www.dlgsc.wa.gov.au/sport-and-recreation/sports-dimensions-guide/football-(australian-rules)

2. Tom 7 Silver badge

Could be a table mountain football field.

Now I've confused myself!

3. 2+2=5 Silver badge
    Joke

Bruce Willis will be relieved.

Given that Shatner's going up into space I think Willis ought to be very worried indeed. Oh, hold, on, stunt doubles - yes his stunt double should be very worried indeed.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Bruce Willis will be relieved.

I think by the time you posted, he'd already landed again.

I watched the playback. From touchdown to getting out took longer than the time from launch to touchdown. The ground crew have to drive as close as they can get then walk the rest of the way. For the price BO charges, I'd expect a helicopter to come out to take me back to my mansion, not some guys in a pick-up!

4. Spoobistle
    Alert

"nearby highway construction"

So it could have been the Vogons then!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "nearby highway construction"

At least they didn't recite poetry at us...

5. wolfetone Silver badge

""I've never been so frightened in my life," the sexagenarian told Canadian politician and radio host Jas Johal."

It's all about sex with you, isn't it El Reg? What does it matter how good looking....

oh.

1. BebopWeBop Silver badge

She might be happier if she gets a pay check out of it - them meteorites are probably worth enough to at least repair the roof and replace the duvet.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
        Alien

She might even get offers to star in a "speciality video" featuring unexpected penetration by alien visitors in the night.

She would be wise to decline such an offer....

1. adam 40 Silver badge

Gilf vs Alien

I doubt it, I would have thought even Aliens have standards - even if you paid them A LOT.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"them meteorites are probably worth enough to at least repair the roof and replace the duvet."

The insurance company have already agreed to pay up. Knowing the money grabbing tendencies of insurance companies though, they may claim they now own the meteorite since they paid for the damage it caused.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

A meteor shower in Golden

That would make it a……

1. James O'Shea

Re: A meteor shower in Golden

that would make it something a certain Orange Person would like.

Perhaps we could export him to Canada. And then close the border.

1. Boufin

What's the difference between a lentil and a chickpea? A certain Orange Person has never had a lentil on his chest.

2. keith_w Bronze badge
        Alert

No thank you. if I hear anymore suggestions of this nature I will petition Mr. Trudeau to re-close the border.

3. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

You wanna swap your Orange Presidency for our Prime Minstrelsy? Sure, if you think it'll make a difference.

Canadian airspace rocks!

7. ThatOne Silver badge
    Alert

Panzer bed

> a softball-sized chunk of space stuff came [...] landing on her pretty floral bedding

My, that's some incredibly solid bed she has there, with Kevlar sheets most likely. I would expect a meteorite of that size and mass, able to smash through the roof, to also go right through the bed and bury itself deep into the ground.

One could argue smashing through the roof dissipated all the kinetic energy so the rock just gently dropped on the bed, but in this case what was that bulletproof roof made from? A softball sized rock, even if it's just dropping a dozen kilometers, should accumulate a lot of kinetic energy. Black powder cannon ball levels of kinetic energy!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Panzer bed

Well, they do make them Canadians (buildings) tough...

1. seven of five Silver badge

The Meteorite realised it has reached Canada and now has to be polite, dropping gently onto the bed with a sound remarkably like "sorry"?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

eh?

2. Tom 7 Silver badge

Meteors tend to hit the earth's atmospheres at 10s of Km a second. And slow down all the way - especially when the break up. I would imagine the terminal velocity of a baseball sized rock to be less than 100mph. After all a skydiver pointing head down is around 180 near sea level.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not picking up speed dropping any amount of kilometres. It's going pretty fast entering the atmosphere,slowing as it hits the atmosphere but still above the terminal velocity of the object, so it won't speed up on its way to the surface. Perhaps it ploughed through a ton of junk in the loft and lost its speed.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> it won't speed up on its way to the surface

It doesn't really need to, does it...

My point was that it will definitely be going fast, and since we're talking about a big rock and not some pebble, have some serious kinetic energy.

So, if the kinetic energy was enough to shatter through the roof of the bedroom, how comes it didn't also go through the bed (usually much less solid than a roof)?

4. Sgt_Oddball Silver badge

Having stayed at my sister-in-laws house in Canada, it depends on which floor the bedroom is.

In the sister-in-law case, the house was built on the side of a hill and her bedroom was 4 levels down. So there would have been alot of floors and furniture in the way.

So in essence, don't assume that her bedroom was directly underneath the roof since the article doesn't clarify the house's structure... Though going through the roof, giving her a drywall shower and hitting the bed that does give the impression that it might be the case.

It could also be that her roof is particularly thick with insulation/rain sheeting that might have absorbed sufficient force to give it a soft landing.

8. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Alien

Nearly hit by a meteorite

I was actually once nearly hit by a meteorite. I was standing at my open bedroom window when something zipped in through it. It looked like the sort of clinker you get in a fire. The largest bit was about the size of the end of my little finger.

Sadly I lost it (I was only about 12 at the time). It would have been nice to have kept my very own meteorite. On the other hand, I expect I was lucky it didn't hit me, as it was going quite fast and could easily have hurt me quite badly if it had struck an eye or something.

Such is life.

9. Blackjack Silver badge

At least it was not a turtle being thrown by an eagle.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021