back to article Facebook, Instagram finally end days of uptime by returning to some downtime

The Facebook empire on Friday experienced some aftershocks after its massive Monday outage, leaving some netizens unable to use its apps and websites as expected. Unlucky, or perhaps lucky, folks found themselves hitting errors when accessing parts of the social network as well as its Instagram, WhatsApp and Messenger units. …

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Hello?

First comment on such a widely-read topic?

This isn't Facebook y'know.

2. tip pc Silver badge
    IT Angle

Again?

Maybe instead of running their own brew systems they need to look at cots with some support?

1. W.S.Gosset Silver badge

Re: Again?

They are the Knights who say NIH!

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

I should make 'Nih' my pronoun. Also 'Ecky Ecky Pakang ZOOM Boing'

As for FaeceBan, WHEN will they EVAR learn to TEST things before deploying them?

And, FB should ALSO take this opportunity to LEARN why it is that SOME of us RESIST CHANGE... (you know, reliability, well tested, system stability, "it works", things like that)

i.e. they need to STOP "FIXING" THINGS that are NOT broken!! (assuming FB is not simply broken out of the box)

It's not like they deserve having things like this happen to them or anything...

[since I do not use it I can just sit back and laugh and eat popcorn]

1. JDPower666 Bronze badge

You seem awfully annoyed about this outage for someone who doesn't use it.

Thumb Up

Bombastic Bob likes shouting at things. The clue's in the name. :D

Thumb Up

thank you!

(see it is all in fun)

Dam' straight!

3. Stoneshop Silver badge
    Devil

The US giant claims it is used by 1.9 billion people every day.

:s/is used by/abuses/

FTFY

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The US giant claims it is used by 1.9 billion people every day.

More like, used by 1.9 billion idiots every day. Wouldn't touch it with the proverbial twenty foot barge pole,

1. captain veg Silver badge

In some countries Facebook claims to have more users than there are people living there.

-A.

1. Stoneshop Silver badge
          Big Brother

Could well be that schizophrenia is one of those side effects of Too Much Social Media, like body dysmorphia, low self-esteem and hunger for likes.

Of course Facebook counts those double; why wouldn't they? Bigger Numbers are Better. And sufferers from quadrophrenia can be counted double again.

I blame my father. In my parents' household he is the only computer user, but they've got 4 Farcebork accounts. Mum doesn't even know how to switch on a computer, doesn't have a smartpone and can't make any sense out of her iPad. But she's got an account. So has the dog. And the cat (deceased). They all get friend requests (whatever that is).

-A.

2. EricB123 Bronze badge

I thought everyone liked quadrophrenia.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Unhappy

running out of snarky retorts

FB is a plague on society, it affects people that don't even participate.

Re: running out of snarky retorts

> it affects people that don't even participate.

Quite. I have to keep telling friends not to upload photos of me under any circumstances. It's not for nothing that Facebook has the best facial recognition algorithms in the business.

-A.

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
        Trollface

@Captain Veg

[Celeriac]

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Flame

FB is a plague on society, it affects people that don't even participate.

^ This.

TBH, since Facebook cause various psychological harms including inciting people to various hatred, often at the behest of foreign 'troll armies' etc. (never mind their laughable tax contribution), could we please take a leaf out of China's book and just ban the lot of it, permanently?

Spiritual Opium? - more like Spiritual Arsenic.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused."

Not that I have any sympathy for inconvenience caused to advertisers* - the more the better in my view - but this is another victim-blaming pseudo apology. What they're really saying is more like "If you were better organised you'd have worked round it.". They are most carefully removing themselves from any shadow of blame.

A real but watered-down apology would have been "We apologise for causing inconvenience".

* Actually, it's not advertisers caught up in this. It's the advertising industry. Advertisers are the the advertising industry's customers.

1. Chris G Silver badge

@Dr Syntax

I suspect what they are removing while the system us down, is incriminating evidence.

1. John McCallum
        FAIL

Aparently whilst the servers were down they couldnot get into the buildings to turn them on again until someone could cut the locks off with an angle grinder.

6. spold Silver badge

CVs anyone?

Jobs you didn't want this week, and probably won't have next week... CIO of Faceplant, Instagone, WhatnoApp...

7. Mark 85 Silver badge

It's Facebork...

I'm not sure we should believe it was "configuration" errors. Quite possible it was intentional to a) get attention. Or b) to install some extra secret sypware for their use in all those little icons we find almost every webpage these days. Given it's FB and Zuck who wants all the power he can get, I'll let others figure out what he's up to.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Terminator

Zuckerborgs

Like Daleks only much more annoying

9. Sixtiesplastictrektableware Bronze badge

3rd is the charm?

Did not a wise commentard at some time remark:

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action"?

A man can hope.

10. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Overtime

No rest on Sunday for Nick Clegg...

The Facebook executive Nick Clegg took a damage-limitation tour of US political talkshows on Sunday, but remained evasive over questions about the social media giant’s contribution to the deadly attack on the US Capitol on 6 January this year."

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/10/facebook-nick-clegg-frances-haugen-us-capitol-attack

11. Uncle Ron

Dr. Evil

Do you think there is any possibility that this outage was purposely launched by some nefarious entity as a demonstration of capability? "We'll shut down *everything* in the lauded Facebook empire--including their card entry systems and internal email. The next thing we'll shut down is the Pentagon or the entire US banking system, unless you pay us ONE MILLION DOLLARS." Signed, Dr. Evil.

Actually, the demand would be more like ONE TRILLION DOLLARS. And it's not Dr. Evil, it would be Vladimir Putin, or Xi Jinping, or whatever his name is. Or maybe some totally anonymous and untraceable someone and wants the ransom in bitcoin. There would never, ever be any public knowledge of this. Huh?

12. Securitymoose

Can't create adverts? They've started sending them out again, even when asked not to.

I managed to avoid adverts until this outage, and now I'm getting random adverts, mostly from Google. Suspicious or what? Seems to me like their recovery is conveniently ignoring people's preferences.

Re: Can't create adverts? They've started sending them out again, even when asked not to.

You have to sign up to their $5/mth plan if you want to enable Persistent Preferences.

Unhappy

Re: Can't create adverts? They've started sending them out again, even when asked not to.

google "fixed" it so that half the devices/browsers I use [and those of a couple of others I know] cannot access any kind of google service without getting a 403 error (or similar) in the process. IMBO, it is TOTALLY google's fault. Happens with Chrome, too... but not Firefox (go fig), same machine and/or IP address. And an Android device does it, too. And an iPad. Weird huh?

Just as well, I do not like their policies. And i recently learned how to tell Chrome to use a different search engine.

Wut!? I'd normally offer that I've had old-version-browsers get locked out by security-version mismatches, with a range of odd errors. But chrome is more resilient to that than firefox.

Is it possible they've (google) tagged you as right wing? I discovered late last year that Google is getting very active and asymmetric vs anyone they deem thus. You might like to test this with a flag-term that "right wing" journalists were completely unable to find on Google back then. Fire up Tor-browser, and fire up firefox, go to google.com on both, and search for "Great Barrington Declaration". That was deemed horribly horribly fact-based and was wiped from (search) view by google for anyone not deemed ideologically pure.

on Tor, you should see it #1. Where you see it on own-id browser gives you an indication of how right-wing google has tagged you as. And they have just stepped up their ideological campaigning as per another elreg article re restricting ads from Evil People's Sites, so it's possible a few other things are being trialled.

Very low probability, but given Google's previous behaviour not entirely unbelievable, and takes 2 seconds to test. Give it a try.

(Oh, and re searchengines, I recommend duckduckgo: duck.com. Anytime you need a broader underlying search-corpus, you can just prepend your current query with "!g " to throw to google.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022