back to article Russian spies reportedly used SolarWinds hack to steal US counterintelligence details

Russia's SVR spy agency made off with information about US counterintelligence investigations in the wake of the SolarWinds hack, according to people familiar with the American government cleanup operation. The alarming snippet was reported by financial newswire Reuters. The SVR was named and shamed in April by Britain and the …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Devil

US vs THEM

We see all those posts about the Russians breaking into countries worldwide ... so are they so much smarter and better at hacking than the rest of the world? Or are other counties doing the same thing but not getting caught at it because they are smarter and better at hacking than the Russians?

I have a solution to all these problems ... but El Reg is still not giving me a pair of wire-cutters icon to demonstrate Internet Security.

1. Unbelievable!
      Go

Re: US vs THEM

Agree. It's not a one way street. Snowdons leak goes to show that emphatically.

But I draw the line at blaming Vulture Towers for the lack of providing an icon. Instead we should revert to ASCII art like true old skoolers ;)

1. rcxb1

Unicode provides a few options:

✁ ✂︎ ✃ ✄

ASCII art doesn't work as well these days. Common fonts are proportional and many sites don't allow changing to a monospace font, so ascii-art comes out looking like a mess:

_ _

(_) / )

| (_/

_+/

//|\

// | )

(/ |/

1. John Robson Silver badge

---8<---

I know its cutting slightly the wrong way, but really...

2. Unbelievable!

damn.. ok need to rethink...

oo.. how about hexadec art? just need to CTRL + - in the browser to zoom out. and then

stand about 30 ft (65.3168 Reg Linguine) from the screen to appreciate the beauty! :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ LOL

2. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Russians breaking into countries worldwide

If engineers don't have an environment to thrive, they can harbour feelings of envy that can be amplified with right propaganda - for example, it's the fault of the West that they live like that etc.

Those people then can use their talents to channel that anger and hope they can score some extra money and lift themselves and their family.

The talent in the West does not have such incentive to go rogue, because they can make relatively good living.

However, one can fear that increasingly hostile environment for small business, anti-self employment agendas, unfair taxation, increased cost of living may push some people over the edge on the West too.

Engineers see how much wealth is produced with their sweat, but that wealth is not shared back and they may want to knock the chessboard.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The thing is, some people instinctively don't want to be crooks or vandals, even if they are poor. For others, regardless of personal wealth, it is sport, and the more blood the better.

My guess is that you are making excuses to justify either what you do, or what you would like to do if you had the opportunity.

Maybe I'm wrong. Would you care to talk a little more about yourself?

2. Amanttix

Why is this a surprise?

The surprise would be if they hadn't stolen counterintelligence details, surely?

1. stiine Silver badge

Re: Why is this a surprise?

and used them without being caught.

3. Insert sadsack pun here

"Russia attempted to deny involvement...though there was little room for doubt in the emphatic statements issued by the UK and US"

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but there was only "little room for doubt" if you accept that what the UK and US says is gospel.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Probably for the best

If both sides know what each other is up to, it might be safer that way.

Just a thought.

5. _LC_
    FAIL

Clinton campaign lawyer Michael Sussmann indicted for lying to FBI during Russia investigation

In case you haven't noticed, the whole Russia-Gate fake just blew up. Clinton's campaign lawyer is being indicted for making-up the whole caboose.

Looks like somebody wants to join him in his cell. :-)

1. trindflo Bronze badge
      WTF?

Re: Clinton campaign lawyer Michael Sussmann indicted for lying to FBI during Russia investigation

You're talking about an indictment brought by Durham, the special prosecutor assigned by Barr (Trump's attorney general), as a parting gift to people trying to hold Trump accountable. I doubt that has blown anything up.

And this has exactly what to do with Solarwinds?

1. A random security guy

Re: Clinton campaign lawyer Michael Sussmann indicted for lying to FBI during Russia investigation

I think he wants to tell you what non sequitur means? </humor>

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK as a target.......

Quote: ".....speaking off the record insisted that the Orion compromise had minimal effect on the UK....."

Well, there are at least three ways to interpret this claim:

1. It's a lie

2. Foreign snoops don't think that anything in the UK is worth stealing

3. All of the above

Just saying!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like