back to article That 'anti-NSO Pegasus spyware' download is actually a Trojan – so don't touch it

A malware peddler has created a fake website posing as Amnesty International to serve gullible marks with software that claims to protect users against NSO Group's Pegasus malware. In fact it's a remote access Trojan (RAT). Trading on fears about the Pegasus malware, this development takes the usual evolution of malware …

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Unhappy

There are clearly few depths which cyber criminals are not prepared to plumb.

1. Snake Silver badge
      Pirate

Re: few depths

There's a sucker born every minute.

Speaking of which, where's my Nigerian prince cheque payout? I've been waiting for a few months now...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

And the NSA/CIA are waiting down there to show them a few tricks.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I'm losing track here.The NSO spyware is used by the NSA/MIB

So a message claiming that Anti-NSO spyware is a virus must also be from the MMB ?

Now just waiting for coporate IT to roll out an anti-anti-NSO spyware to counter this trojan and then an anti-anti-anti-NSO spyware to block the original NSO spyware

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Worrying agility

You have to admire and worry about the worring ability of these criminals to stomp a credible site out of the ground in only a few days. We could use that talent on the non-criminal side..

3. big_D Silver badge

Pegasus iPhone

It isn't just an iPhone malware, there is a version for Android as well. Just that the majority of victims on the list used iPhone and, due to the way iPhone and Android log system activity, it could be proven to have been on the iPhones, but the lack of logs on Android meant it was inconclusive, whether they had been infected.

The German police bought Pegasus for use in criminal cases and it supposedly works on both iOS and Android.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like