back to article Infosec outfit Group-IB's website was defaced in weeks before CEO's arrest over high treason claims

Threat intelligence firm Group-IB has said it is "confident in the innocence of the company's CEO and his business integrity" after he was arrested on suspicion of treason – two weeks after the company's homepage was defaced by vandals. Ilya Sachkov was reportedly arrested after Russian law enforcement agencies raided Group-IB …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Justice and Russia

Those two words just don't go together.

The Law is just a tool for the State to wield in order to crush whoever it is that is getting in the way. Putin will lift his phone, say "I want that guy to go down", and all the judges and police will do their best to find anything they can pretend to make stick.

State treason ? In Russia it is state treason to not like Putin.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Justice and Russia

"Putin will lift his phone, say "I want that guy to go down", and all the judges and police will do their best to find anything they can pretend to make stick."

It's almost the other way around. In Duma his party politicians pushes some silly laws just because they're trying to second guess Putin's (and his cabal) wishes.

It's no different to politicians and civil servants around Russia who try to appease Putins' United Russia party by doing all sorts of underhanded stuff to a) stuff their pockets and b) gain more power for themselves. Most of the time they can trust the backing of the party and the men in balaclavas if the crowds get too noisy.

2. sanmigueelbeer Silver badge

Re: Justice and Russia

In Russia, it is "guilty until proven otherwise".

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No doubt

Group-IB screwed up one too many cyber-ransom operations owned by FSB officers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have met Sachkov and a few other execs, visited Group IB's offices in Moscow, and attended their rather good conferences in Moscow twice. (For what it's worth, I've also worked in Russia on and off since 1991 and speak Russian).

I am very surprised to hear this news. Group IB always worked closely with MVD and other Russian law enforcement agencies to target Russian organised crime groups. They understand the security landscape very well. They have never and would never cut across the Russian state's interests - although I can imagine low level corrupt officials might have been affected.

I hope this is not connected to their recent decision to co-locate in Singapore. If it is - this show of strength by the Russian state will have the perverse effect of pushing other Russian entrepreneurs and IP-heavy businesses to transfer assets and people overseas.

1. DJ
      Coat

I thought

Russia was organized crime.

Just on my way out...

4. Kurgan

We are just going back to USSR methods here

Russia is simply going back to the way USSR meant business. People can simply disappear because Lenin (or Putin) says so.

5. Clausewitz 4.0
    Devil

To Sergei Esenin

You have passed, as they say, into worlds elsewhere.

Emptiness...

Fly, cutting your way into starry dubiety.

No advances, no pubs for you there.

Sobriety.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021