back to article Take a look, and you'll see... Windows XP? Bit of Dairy Milk, Fruit and Bork at Cadbury World

Some habits are hard to shake, and more than one tourist hotspot is having a heck of time leaving Windows XP behind, as today's confection of bork shows. Following last week's shame at 300 ft from an Emirates cable car travelling over the Thames, the latest installment comes from Reg reader Ben who was "enjoying" a trip to …

1. MrMerrymaker

A tight squeeze

I'm Bournville there is a canal next to Cadbury World...

2. Chris G

Cadbury's Borkville Chocolate

Choc full od borkness!

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Trollface

Still better than Yorkies. Real men can b0rk those with one hand, I'm told.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advertsing World

Cadburys Advertising World ?

Flake girl?

Memories of a spotty faced 1970/80's teenager.....

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Flake girl

Nice one.

I really enjoyed the Phil Collins gorilla though.

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

XP vs 10

The big problem at work is that XP starts up so quickly so you don't have time to go and make a cup or two of coffee in the morning. Upgrading to Windows 10 means that when you come into work and turn on the PC you have plenty of time to make coffee before you have to start working - I'm looking forward to the Windows 11 feature upgrade, I expect I'll be able to make breakfast every day as well as coffee in the modern working from home world...

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: XP vs 10

I find that Windows 10 usually boots up in about 3 seconds, not including POST time, unless of course it decides to do updates, but it usually chooses a much more inopportune time to do those. Back in the day, XP used to take a couple of minutes to boot up, obviously it will be a bit faster on modern hardware.

1. BrownishMonstr

I remember it taking 10-15m before it was usable.

Then again, the crap I installed at 13 versus the crap I install now, and the hardware, as you stated, may play a part in it.

2. Anonymous Kiwi

Clean install on a 5yo laptop with hdd boots in 8 minutes, not including POST or GrUB.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Finger of Blame

When Cadbury is 'improving' its product by reducing its size, do you think the beancounters are going to spend money on an old computer?

1. Youngone Silver badge

Re: Finger of Blame

Where I live Cadburys improved its product by closing the 120 year old factory and sacking all the workers, as well as reducing the size and putting more palm oil into the product.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

That's not the sort of a glass & a half of milky goodness I was expecting in my chocolate bar.

2. Anonymous Kiwi

I can see the local Cadbury factory here getting taken down by cranes so they can put the new hospital in...

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"When Cadbury is 'improving' its product by reducing its size, do you think the beancounters are going to spend money on an old computer?"

At Cadburys, the bean counters really do actually count beans.

6. -tim
    Coat

News Flash?

What are the odds that the show and tell app that should be running was written in flash? Moving on might be a whole lot more challenging than it would appear.

As far as unsupported, doesn't MS still have that pay for support thing going if you are willing to pay big? If I remember right, the cost per workstation today for that support would still be smaller than some Oracle seat licenses.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: News Flash?

(If you're running a flash app on a kiosk, it's doesn't need OS support, so long as it's not connected to the wider internet. They might have hardware issues in the future though, either failing kit or inability to get suitable kit to run it on or external devices supported by WinXP drivers.

7. herman Silver badge
    Devil

Adobe of course

My bet is that XP is waiting for Adobe to terminate.

8. Yes Me Silver badge
    Happy

Same old story

Cadbury's have always been at the forefront of computing.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon