back to article Memory prices to dive in late 2022, says Gartner

Prices for DRAM and NAND flash are set to fall, sharply, in the second half of 2022 according to analyst firm Gartner. In a memo published last week and obtained by The Register, the firm predicts “oversupply” of memory chips will develop as demand eases and supply increases. A “significant price reduction” is therefore likely …

1. FILE_ID.DIZ Bronze badge
    Megaphone

Not if you...

The memo states that memory contributes even more – 40 percent – to the cost of a two-socket server.

... buy OEM-branded memory, what fucking highway robbery!

I always buy first-tier memory separately, just like what Dell/HP/Lenovo happily sell at an excessive up-charge: Samsung, Hynix and Micron.

Haven't been disappointed - with the savings I buy a few spares so that I can replace the memory faster than Dell/HP/Lenovo can get a courier over and have barrels of money left over.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Barrels of money?

Do you pay in oil or printer ink?

I kid, no one has a barrel of printer ink - it would cost more than the GDP of some of the smaller EU countries!

2. Annihilator Silver badge

"Let the BOM of the equipment decline while maintaining the existing price to customers and thus increase margins," the memo suggests.

Seems unlikely anyone took that approach when memory prices were going up...

3. DJV Silver badge

"Memory prices to dive in late 2022, says Gartner."

So, given the accuracy of Gartners usual wafflings, the chances of memory prices diving has just dived to zero.

1. Robert Moore

I am buying up all the RAM I can find. because we know prices are about to skyrocket.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Happy

Funny how we all seem to arrive at the same conclusion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021