back to article Break out your emergency change process and patch this ransomware-friendly bug ASAP, says VMware

VMware has disclosed a critical bug in its flagship vSphere and vCenter products and urged users to drop everything and patch it. The virtualization giant also offered a workaround. The bug is one of 19 disclosed today by VMware. The worst of the bunch is CVE-2021-22005, described as "an arbitrary file upload vulnerability in …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Facepalm

Just using UNIX text editors can be a challenge

For Joe Blogs on the street, yes, but for your sysadmin? Really?

Closest to "Jesus wept" icon =>

1. Captain Boing

Re: Just using UNIX text editors can be a challenge

totally!

can't wear the label "Admin" if they can't grasp vi, ed, emacs etc. not on my watch.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I tend to agree, nonetheless it does say VMware Admin, not Sysadmin - in many Enterprises there is considerable separation.

3. DS999 Silver badge

In most of the enterprises I've consulted at, the virtualization team is either part of the Windows team or branched off from it at some point, because ESX was mostly used at first to consolidate Windows servers.

So while you may wish VMware admins are more generalist I find many know nothing other than Windows. While they may have used 'vi' once or twice, if editing a text incorrectly is going to bring down an entire ESX farm you don't want them touching it...

1. Scott 26

> So while you may wish VMware admins are more generalist I find many know nothing other than Windows. While they may have used 'vi' once or twice, if editing a text incorrectly is going to bring down an entire ESX farm you don't want them touching it...

At my org, I find the windows guys have a wider breadth of knowledge than the eunuchs guys....

We have windows guys who can 'get by' in a shell, but their equivalent eunuchs are completely lost on a windows server....

1. tfewster
          Facepalm

Downvoted not for your factual statement of how it is at your org, but for your org itself.

My anecdotal experience is that even Unix greybeards are capable of using a web or GUI interface, or taking appropriate care when using an unfamiliar editor such as edlin on MS-DOS.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Windows

"Even the least severe of the flaws [..] can lead to information leaks"

So basically VMware is currently leaking like a sieve.

Or is it more like a screen door on a submarine ?

3. sanmigueelbeer

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like