back to article 'Large-scale computing' needs a government team driving it, says UK.gov

A report from the Government Office for Science has proposed the formation of an in-house team dedicated to large-scale computing, as it bemoans the nation's weak standing in the international supercomputing sector and makes a series of recommendations for improving matters. "This report sets out the building blocks required …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So....

Set up numerous government committees in the dept for administrative affairs to be concerned about the lack of supercomputers, or spend the money on buying actual supercomputers?

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

FFS

A report from the Government Office for Science … as it bemoans the nation's weak standing in the international supercomputing sector and makes a series of recommendations for improving matters.

Have supercomputers replaced nuclear arsenals as the politicians' strap-on penis of choice while I wasn't looking?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: FFS

I expect the Minister was sat next to someone trying to sell him one at the last freebie.

3. Ken G Silver badge
    Trollface

data is the new oil

When there's a large spillage it makes headlines and costs a fortune to clean up.

4. jfollows

I haven't read the report yet, but I'd be surprised if there's anything new in it. Dominic Tildesley wrote a report in 2011 (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/32499/12-517-strategic-vision-for-uk-e-infrastructure.pdf) and I expect a lot of the same messages. But it called for a coordinated and consistent approach to e-Infrastructure, rather than a "government team" and the latter sounds dreadful at first thought.

1. WhiteDragon43

@jfollows,

A "government team" - - the kiss of death to any IT foray, in my early days in the 70s I witnessed the development by a team of PFYs using Cobol create an industrial payment application, weekly pay. Unfortunately it took about a month to run on the latest of ICL's 1904E's - Arrogant bunch of twits!

Heaven help us all if Crapita is selected to assist, as ex-Army I choked when they were appointed for the recruitment task.

5. ibmalone

It's a gas

"take today's newspapers and the gas industry, take today's water industries, road, rail infrastructure"

Ah, about that...

(Particularly, this week, to suggest the gas industry as a shining example.)

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Re: It's a gas

And newspapers are nothing to do with the government.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm building a 600 fp32 TFLOP home lab supercomputer! 4 nodes stuffed full of A4000's with 28 GB/sec infiniband interconnect. Should I offer it to HM gov to use during the weekends? o.o

7. steelpillow Silver badge
    Facepalm

Sure thing, boss

Yes, absolutely, what the UK desperately needs is a Whitehall-led business plan for supercomputer dominance - just like the one the National Enterprise Board hatched when it launched INMOS all those years ago. Anybody here old enough to remember how well that went?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Sure thing, boss

But these will be British supercomputers! With new silicon features made to fraction of inch, none of this French nanometre business

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Yes, let's have state of the art chips fabricated using a 35 picofurlong process.

1. steelpillow Silver badge
          Joke

State of the art chips made on a line using a state of the art sub-micron process, the Line Architecture for Resolution Determination or LARD.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like