back to article A Burger King where the only Whopper is the BSOD font

Bork goes back to its roots today, with a screen of purest blue showing its unwanted face outside a US Burger King branch. At least it makes a change from McDonald's, very much the DNS of Bork when it comes to failures. In this instance, it looks like it is the exterior signage, normally showing a slideshow of tasty (and …

1. GuildenNL

Windows has fallen and can't get up!

Seems Mrs. Fletcher took Clara Peller's place in asking "Where's the beef?!?"

USA 1980's TV commercials....

2. My other car WAS an IAV Stryker

BK signage

Around here, any Burger King with a color digital display uses ones from Daktronics in Brookings, South Dakota.

After my high school moved to a new building in January 1997, I had the pleasure of running a large exterior low-res Daktronics incandescent 80 x 16 sign during my senior year. It was mounted on poles by the main road; each pixel was the size of my head -- or so it seemed -- and it drank power like a rock concert. The PC running it was some IBM clone running MS-DOS (I don't know the version) and interfaced to the "sign driver" unit via good ol' RS-232. It was also kind of cool to learn that their display boards had been used in the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

I know more recent Daktronics products ran software on Windows, so I'm not too surprised here, and XP sounds right.

(One more thing: two my three initials are "B" and "K", but I'm 50/50 between them and Wendy's.)

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Re: BK signage

80x16? Jesus, my TRS-80 was better than that.

We have a "fast-food row" here, with McD, then Wendy's, then BK. I was in the Wendy's drive-thru, so I could see there was a half-dozen cars at McD, a dozen cars at Wendy's, and BK was completely empty. Not a single car at BK.

1. SgtFalstaff

Re: BK signage

>Not a single car at BK.

Maybe the Burger King staff were really efficient?

...Yah, I'm not buying that either. Burger King even smells really strange to me.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

Windows...

...has fallen down at the BK Lounge, ohhh yeah!

4. matjaggard

Didn't say if a purchase was made?

Of course a purchase was not made - what do you think this is, McDonalds?!

When did McDonalds become half the price and double the quality of BK, I'm sure they used to compete.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: half the price and double the quality of BK

MD's didn't improve, BK just sunk even lower. What's concerning is there was a "lower" to sink to.

2. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Didn't say if a purchase was made?

Around here (north west France), BK is bigger, tastier, and cheaper than the sad clown. But, holy crap is it greasy. I find as I get ever crustier, my gut is less willing to tolerate some of the weirdness that I throw it's way. And BK, sadly, counts as much weirdness because of the grease content. So now it's like one of these strange sadomasochistic religious events - oh burger, oh cheese, oh yes (but I'm going pay for this later). Yum yum yum yum yum. But not on a day when I need to get up early the next morning. Because, you know, best to be on the safe side.

[I really ought to teach myself to make my own burgers, it would be less grease, real meat, real cheese, and cost a hell of a lot less; but alas, I'm lazy...]

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Alert

I still curse the day that my High Street Wimpy, became BK, the one on my back doorstep resisted the change briefly & became MCD's.

We had one for a number of years in our local 10 pin bowling alley.

1. herman

Wimpy, eh? For auld lang syne…

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

A Prob?

Maybe it's the Roswell branch advertising A Probe? All we are seeing is a static image, cleverly snapped to make it seem innocent, when the reality could be a far more sinister scrolling message relating to aliens from the 7th planet offering free bodily probes with every burger!

On the other hand, it could just be as described, a Windows BSOD. But who in their right mind hooks up such a low resolution screen such that the system sees it as the primary screen?

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      Coat

Re: A Prob?

By the Sherlock Holmes principle... it must be aliens. Windows never falls over, therefore the only remaining option, however unlikely, is the correct one.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Re: A Prob?

Re: “ But who in their right mind hooks up such a low resolution screen such that the system sees it as the primary screen?”

You’ll probably find it’s the only monitor hooked up, with any config changes being done via Remote Desktop, another software based method, IP kvm or just plugging in a monitor and keyboard/mouse as required.

In my experience, when a pc reboots, it generally assumes the first monitor it finds is the primary one and doesn’t care whether that device is an lcd screen, crt screen or even a grid of bulbs being run by display circuitry.

Windows usually remembers which monitor is the primary one, but when blue screening, tends to revert to whatever the pc has decided is primary.

6. martinusher Silver badge

Look, if you insist on using Windows....

...because the graphics support is easier to use (?) then you've got to learn to live with its quirks.

Everyone knows that the the decision to use Windows isn't left to programmers. Its what you're told to do. Trying to explain that you shouldn't try to build unattended devices based on it because a program fault will invariably cause program termination (complete with terse message), a system fault (with an even more terse message) or a platform that usually has to be restarted after even a minor component change is just, as they say "pi**ing into the wind".

The easy fix is to just unplug it and plug it back in. (Or unplug it and leave it off...)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A prob

…ability that your burger will contain actual beef….

8. herman
    Pint

Pull request

Now I want a pulled bork sandwich!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like