back to article Microsoft doles out Office Long Term Servicing Channel for cloud refuseniks

Microsoft has grudgingly admitted that not everyone will want to ascend to its cloud with the Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) version of its Office cash cow. Earlier this year, the Windows behemoth announced that it was axing the length of support. No longer would customers enjoy decade-long delight. Instead, support would …

1. ShadowSystems Silver badge

Being online isn't ubiquitous.

There are places that either can't get a stable signal, can't get any signal at all, or otherwise can't get an "always on" internet connection. How do you propose those folks get to your cloudy based offerings? Because unless you're willing to pay for an ISP to lay physical fiber to the home, you can't *guarantee* that the customer will ever get such a connection. Terrain features may prevent anything short of a satelite uplink to work worth a darn. Even if they can get a cell signal, the only data-allowing-ISP they can get may be a pay-by-the-bit price gouging company like Comcast or Verizon. You need to accept that not *everyone* can get/afford an always-on connection. For those people they *have* to have an entirely offline software package. Not one that waits for a connection then tries to ram a Tb or more of data down the pipe, but an only-if-explicitly-allowed-to-do-so trickle-feed an uplink at all. And you need to accept that not everyone appreciates the forced telemetry. Some of us have even refused to touch any recent version of the OS because of it. We're certainly not going to install a supposedly offline software package if it later turns out to try & drill a (security) hole through our firewalls so it can talk to the MS HQ.

They are *our* computers, not yours. It's *our* data, not yours. You refuse to treat us like appreciated customers & let us dictate if/when we go online, if/when to talk to MS HQ, & what/if anything to send your way. The forced updates, telemetry, & "like it or not, bend over & take it" attitude is losing you those of us that used to champion for you. We refuse to support you, refuse to reccommend you, and sure as hell try to get everyone that will listen to avoid you like the plague. And you only have yourselves to blame...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They are *our* computers, not yours. It's *our* data, not yours.

huge majority (aka 'end users) clearly disagree. Unfortunately. Obviously, there's more resistance with it people, who know better but... it's a matter of time. Unfortunately.

2. Novex

Re: Being online isn't ubiquitous.

I agree for the most part. Unfortunately I think those of us with such a mind are in a dwindling minority.

When it comes to older Office versions, I use 2010. My only worry with any of them is activation and if Microsoft eventually turn off the activation servers. It wouldn't affect Office 97, and I have that and could go back to it, but there are some features that I use in 2010 that would of course be missing, and it's not possible to roll back Access files from .accdb to .mdb in a single move. I believe it would involve quite a lot of exporting from 2010 to files, then importing them into 97.

As far as LibreOffice is concerned, I have that too (my OS is Linux Mint, with Win7 in a VM with Office 2010 on it), however I still can't get round Calc not having an Excel keyboard shortcut mapping that can be applied. I often have to use Excel at work, and I can't memorize too different keyboard shortcut schemes for spreadsheet programs.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

For those scenarios, there is the "locked-in-time" version of the productivity suite.

For those scenarios there's also LibreOffice. I wonder how much that weighed on Microsoft's decision making.

1. Ken G Bronze badge

OnlyOffice, WPS Office, Softmaker, etc.

3. bob, mon!
    Windows

Who needs it?

Office XP works as well as it ever did, and does a good 90% of what 90% of the users actually want out of a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation app. And Outlook on the Web does the rest.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Who needs it?

You need a minimum of Office 2007 if you want more than 65536 rows in an Excel spreadsheet.

No, you probably shouldn't be using Excel for that, but it happens.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If I ever find my old Office2000 CD, MS can kiss my ass.

1. wegie

Office 2K CD? Carefully filed next to the Windows 2K CD in the software wallet in the study.

Failing that, a perusal of the wares at theunitysoft.com can often be extremely helpful.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Office2000

It seemed strange at the time that all Service Patch files for O2000 disappeared. Last time I looked it was impossible to find a legit place to download any of the SP's. Did MS coerce them to be taken down?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Office 97 is easier.

401-1111111

Know what I mean?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

urging customers to surrender perpetual licences in favour of Microsoft 365 subscriptions

probably many idiots came to them. Yes, yes, yes, I want to pay more for subscription, pay now, pay later, and keep paying, because CLOUD! IS! GREAT!

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: urging customers to surrender perpetual licences in favour of Microsoft 365 subscriptions

Yes, and our licensing office drank that koolaid, at least when it comes to Visual Studio. Yes, there are some nice features in the newer versions, but for my usecase VS2015 would be sufficient, or 2017. Apparently the subscription is considered to be cheaper than the one-off payment. And even worse: we are now forced to do the stupid subscription based stuff despite having the perpetual licenses for 2017. Bloody brilliant.

6. Adelio Silver badge

Why do people pay for these type of licences.

Office should be bought once and kept for as long as you want it. I still use office 2007 and see no reason to change.

There have been so few worthwhile changes to office in the last 20 years why do people want to change?

More t the point why would they go to a rental where they pay every year instead of once?

1. TiredNConfused80

If you're using Exchange 365 then at some point older versions of Windows are going to be cut off.

There are ways around this of course (OWA etc..) but many people like Outlook (well need, nobody likes Outlook).

I suppose there are also security considerations as well if you have a fleet of PCs to look after..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022