back to article Palantir abandons any attempt at curating nice-guy image with 'Global Information Dominance Experiments'

For an AI biz associated with the CIA and the much-criticised US immigration agency ICE, whose founder helped finance impeached ex-president and alleged insurrectionist Donald Trump, it might be fair to assume Palantir would endevour to avoid giving the wrong impression. For example, publicising a project under the title " …

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Joke

"unique and extraordinary people who by definition are going to be uneven and spiky"

That sounds like almost all of the Register's commentators on the threads. Can I work from home?

1. Irongut

Re: "unique and extraordinary people who by definition are going to be uneven and spiky"

It did sound familiar but then I remembered I have ethics and a conscience.

Re: "unique and extraordinary people who by definition are going to be uneven and spiky"

So sorry to hear that, you'll have to make do with righteous poverty. You have my deepest sympathies.

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
        Joke

Nice guy image?

That's Bruce Banner innit?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sounds like Palantir has the gamma radiation solution to your ... ethics problem.

2. nematoad
    WTF?

Eh?

"...was designed to enable cross-combatant command collaboration to generate globally-integrated effects using artificial intelligence-enabled information,"

It looks like, from this statement, that they have got the AI writing the PR bumf as well.

What in the name of God does it mean?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Eh?

It means they have Dominic Cummings writing the bullshit. Sounds like he wrote the recruitment flyer, too.

1. Chris G

Well, Dominic Cummings is certainly uneven and spiky, I also doubt that has the limiting factor of ethics to impede him either.

2. Eclectic Man Silver badge
      Joke

James Hacker: "Humphrey, what does it mean?"

Sir Humphrey Appleby: "Well, minister, you see, in the eventuality that several arms of government or indeed the armed forces combined with other forces, not necessarily armed but possibly armed, but collaborating with forces which are democratically controlled by elected representatives, such as yourself, or their appointees, it would be prescient to ensure that intelligence, by which I mean information interpreted by experts for particular purposes, can be used, with due consideration to required purposes of the aforementioned elected representatives or their designated appointees to pursue said purposes or objectives with all due cognisance of the actual real-world situation and consequences with the utmost effectiveness and economy taking into account the collaboration with our allies and the likely responses of our not so allies and those states and organisations, such as criminal organisations with which we are not currently allied to ensure that the most up to date and cutting edge technology is employed to ensure decisions are made to the best effect." (Smiles condescendingly)

Hacker: "You don't know, do you?"

Appleby: (pause) "No, Minister."

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Brilliant !

I see we have a Yes Minister historian at doctorate level here.

Well done !

You are too kind, too kind. <blushes>

One does one's best.

3. fargonebastage

satellite based multi-tenant command and control with AI suggestions presented in a multiple choice format

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> The models process imagery, they detect submarines, geo-locate them, and then determine any movement since the last collection passed, all in under a second," she claimed.

Generally speaking, when submarines don't want to be detected they can stay underwater for long periods of time, where they cannot be detected by satellite.

China has an underground port for submarines on Hainan island, specifically to prevent counting the total number of submarines, and how many are in port.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

That sounds more like tracking cartel drug deliveries.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"China has an underground port for submarines on Hainan island"

Well if you know that I'm pretty sure the US Navy knows that as well and has a sub on station tasked with counting all sub activity.

4. gregoryg1

Forget Trump - Peter Thiel is the one to worry about

Peter Thiel has the best chance of becoming Authoritarian dictator and turning the USA into a dystopia with the information that Planitir has access to; this is utter BS. With $5 billion tax free just in his Roth IRA account; giving millions to the man who attempted to over throw the will of the people, and the sucking of blood teenagers to try and live forever; this man is obviously a nut job very dangerous to democracy.

5. Howard Sway Silver badge

"and then we irradiate them," he said.

I think it would be dangerous to assume he was using a metaphor here

6. bronskimac

Just cut to the chase, you're building Skynet aren't you?

7. skeptical i
    Thumb Down

troubling

re: "The models process imagery, they detect submarines, geo-locate them, and then determine any movement since the last collection passed, all in under a second"

s/submarines/$target/;

# where $target is one or more of protesters, Uighers, etc.

Getting a bit tired of military project names that seem chosen to win the next episode of "Quien es mas macho?"; would these not just create targets to be taken down a peg or two? In this particular case Global Information Dominance Experiments, acronym-izes to GIDE, who (Andre Gide) has written on the subjects of individual thought, conformity, morality, empire, and other topics which might give pause to military brass (he apparently did sour on communism, though, maybe that's what they were after). And also had a fondness for young boys. Or so sez Wikipedia --https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Gide Whatever his proclivities, I don't think his name deserves to be associated with this latest mess.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Made for each other

Palantir and the Air Force were made for each other, to the discredit of both of them.

The Air Force wanted somebody with anger management issues. Because they, themselves, have anger management issues.

They probably wish he had less of an issue with verbal diarrhea but you take what you can get.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nightmare stuff

Not quite 10 years ago, I was considered by my then employee to join the team that worked with Palantir (I had a clearance then). So, I got an in-depth demo and got to "play" with the system a bit. No in-depth training as I hadn't gone through the rigmarole of NDA, higher level clearance, etc.

What I saw even back then would have made the boys from MiniLove go "hang on, that's a bit intrusive, innit?"

When I commented on that I was shunted off that project so fast it singed my nose hairs and eyebrows.

Which was alright as I didn't last much longer at that company, as did anybody who refused the ethicectomy.

AC, natch.

10. Jonathon Green
    Black Helicopters

Software America

Cf the CIA’s wholly owned front company for supporting covert mischief in Asia back in the day… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_America_(airline)

11. Chris G

"No need to enter

Sign in, give your name, number, fingerprint, inside leg measurement or indeed any other identifying detail.

You are in Dystopia already and we have all of those details and many more, you may not even be aware of all of your identifying details, but we are."

Don't for one moment think those targeted ads are the only use for all the data that has been sucked from you.

12. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Two's Company where and when Three's a Crowd and in a Tempestuous Cloud, Chaotically Disruptive

One man's Global Information Dominance Experiment is A.N.Other One's Total Information Awareness Space Program.

13. Mike 16

Prior Art

The badge for NROL-39?

http://nrol-39.com/index.php

14. batfink

Pardon?

"We orchestrated a meta-constellation of 237 satellites by working with an array of commercial space companies. These companies have been deploying constellations of hyperspectral, radar, and elite sensors into orbit. It's one of the largest collaborative sensor constellations ever to see operation"

Somebody's been playing Bollocks Bingo again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like