back to article Vietnamese province that hosts Big Tech's factories now fashionably COVID-free

The Vietnamese province of Bac Giang, home to numerous factories that contribute to tech supply chains, is back in full swing after a rocky few months full of COVID outbreaks and related shutdowns. Back in May of this year, COVID’s Delta variant brought a fourth wave of infections across Vietnam that caused lockdowns in …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

We're going to have to live with it

COVID is not going away. We're going to have to deal with living our lives despite it.

After all, the flu claims hundreds of thousands of lives every year, and we don't quarantine for that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

About > 10x the death rate

Covid19 will pass like other Corona virus's before it.

MERS-CoV , SARS-CoV, SARS2-CoV, all passed

Flu is a generic grouping of unnamed virus. ALL of the flu strains going around TOGETHER, kill about 50k/year in the US. nCov19 killed TEN TIMES that many and that was WITH infectious disease controls in place.

So they are not the same.

So now there's a vaccine, if enough people take it then they may still catch it and face only mild symptoms and it burns out quickly. The ones that don't want to be vaccinated, are still catching it and dying, so they don't 'live with it', a substantial portion of them die from it.

The risk of course is evolution, a very real thing that is not just a theory, it could evolve into strains that the vaccine is ineffective against, and then we start this again. So the sooner Republicans and Conservatives stop lying about it, and get their voters vaccinated, the fewer of their voters they will kill with their lies.

We did of course quarantine for MERS-CoV , SARS-CoV, SARS2-CoV, etc. and tackled it without the need for a vaccine, it was incompetent leadership that was the main cause of death with this version. The incompetent leadership of Trump is why Republicans feel the need to keep lying about it.

It's why to this day, they continue to obstruct basic disease control measures and spread vax-lies.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: About > 10x the death rate

@AC

"The risk of course is evolution, a very real thing that is not just a theory, it could evolve into strains that the vaccine is ineffective against"

This is something the virus is already doing (as you probably know with various strains) and it is global. It isnt about to be stamped out because it truly is everywhere and keeps mutating.

"So the sooner Republicans and Conservatives stop lying about it, and get their voters vaccinated, the fewer of their voters they will kill with their lies."

Wasnt it the left complaining they wouldnt take a vaccine if it was provided by Trump? The same Trump who seems to have been correct identifying the source as the lab in China which the dems claimed a fringe conspiracy theory (until Biden won of course)? Also isnt the right (conservatives/republicans) for freedom of choice so people are not forced to act a certain way?

"it was incompetent leadership that was the main cause of death with this version"

Do you mean the WHO for playing politics instead of calling a pandemic sooner (so as not to upset China)? Or the Chinese leadership for covering up the incidents instead of reacting to it and stopping the virus before it became a pandemic?

"The incompetent leadership of Trump is why Republicans feel the need to keep lying about it."

How was Trump incompetent? Lots of vaccine very quickly without becoming some totalitarian dictator (something the left accused him of being). Instead of abusing the federal position he allowed the states to manage themselves as they should and provided the assistance the federal gov should do. Hell Biden forgot he was vaccinated thanks to Trump the idiot.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

MERS-CoV , SARS-CoV, SARS2-CoV, all passed

The reason they past , is they weren't intentionally spread and thus had no surface to mutate over. What I want to see is Republicans getting onboard with the vaccine rollout.

You need to stop this political lying, you need to take your vaccines, wear the masks, you need mandatory vaccines in major spread locations, like the army, like cruise ships, and where people highly likely to die are present, hospitals, nursing homes etc.

You need to stop rolling out anti-vaccine legislation, stop the ban on asking for vaccine status, or stopping hospitals from demanding their nurses be vaccinated. Nurses *should* be vaccinated.

Stop that 'don't Fauci Florida' crap, he's just doing his job.

Stop that 'needle nazi' and pretending offering a vaccine is putting Republicans in gas chambers. They're trying to save your lives and so what if the man delivering it is a Democrat President, he's an American President *first* and *foremost*.

Stop it.

I get you want to change history, grow up, your voters are dying and you're killing them.

Stop it.

@AC

"The reason they past , is they weren't intentionally spread and thus had no surface to mutate over. What I want to see is Republicans getting onboard with the vaccine rollout."

Ok so lets say hypothetically the republicans turned into authoritarian asshats and sent stormtroopers to guarantee 100% vaccination rate in the US. The virus is world wide and running rampant. Developed countries are not completely vaccinated (some considerably so) so what about the poorer countries? It will still mutate there and the problem with vaccine production is a lack of facilities capable of producing it.

Thats why I am not convinced it will just go away even if every developed country clamped down and forced vaccination on everyone.

"You need to stop this political lying, you need to take your vaccines, wear the masks, you need mandatory vaccines in major spread locations"

I am not lying, I am vaccinated and I wear masks on the occasions I have to. Yet still I expect this virus to keep mutating because it has a world of hosts and we can only play whack-a-mole. I am also happy for people to have personal choice especially for the young.

"You need to stop rolling out anti-vaccine legislation"

I am in the UK not US but are they rolling out anti-vaccine legislation? As in banning the vaccine?

"or stopping hospitals from demanding their nurses be vaccinated."

I can imagine this is a question of if they want nurses or only the vaccinated. Its that balancing question of what is more important? Of course the hospital can then try to manage staff contact but thats up to them. We are all waiting on herd immunity (something mocked when suggested by the right yet is the aim now).

"Stop that 'don't Fauci Florida' crap, he's just doing his job."

He seems a shifty guy. Rand Paul was taking him to task for comments over funding of the wuhan lab. But then even as an expert his opinion is ever shifting which apparently shakes peoples faith in him. Just as politicians get accused of (UK gov for one).

"so what if the man delivering it is a Democrat President"

If only the same applied when it was Trump supplying it.

"I get you want to change history, grow up, your voters are dying and you're killing them."

What the hell is that? Sounds like a tantrum but I dont understand why. People are free to choose, freedom being something very important to some people.

"They're trying to save your lives"

Read the quote-

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/19967-of-all-tyrannies-a-tyranny-sincerely-exercised-for-the-good

1. DryBones
              FAIL

"He seems a shifty guy. Rand Paul was taking him to task for comments over funding of the wuhan lab. But then even as an expert his opinion is ever shifting which apparently shakes peoples faith in him. Just as politicians get accused of (UK gov for one)."

Rand Paul has no clue what he's talking about. He's not a epidemiologist, not a virologist, not anything applicable. Fauci took the extraordinary step of stating he was speaking in official capacity, when he said Rand Paul did not know what he was talking about.

Scientists form, modify, discard, or confirm theories based on fresh information and experimentation.

"https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/19967-of-all-tyrannies-a-tyranny-sincerely-exercised-for-the-good"

Which didn't involve trying to stop a pandemic with an airborne pathogen that infects others in proximity. I'm reminded of a saying.

Something about one's right to swing their fist ending where another's nose begins...

@DryBones

"Rand Paul has no clue what he's talking about. He's not a epidemiologist, not a virologist, not anything applicable."

This was about the funding of the lab. A direct question that the NIH was funding the lab which also did gain of function research. The answer seeming to be yes but that the funding was not for the gain of function research (assuming I understand Fauci's claim).

"Fauci took the extraordinary step of stating he was speaking in official capacity, when he said Rand Paul did not know what he was talking about."

A man with his feet in the fire will say anything.

"Which didn't involve trying to stop a pandemic with an airborne pathogen that infects others in proximity. I'm reminded of a saying."

I assume thats a statement about China? Who let it loose on the world regardless of the origins.

2. codejunky Silver badge

Re: We're going to have to live with it

@Pascal Monett

Well said (upvote from me). There is a vaccine for the original which helps against the current mutations but it wont stop mutating and the countries that locked themselves away in hiding are and will suffer as they open up. The world cant stop for this virus.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like