back to article What to do with our leftover Saturn V Lego? Why, build another rocket, of course

We ventured back into the world of plastic bricks this week with the building of a Saturn 1B to add to our growing rocket garden. Saturn 1B vs Saturn V Saturn 1B vs Saturn V Followers of our adventures in brickery will remember our Skylab-inspired builds in April. The Saturn V modification we undertook back then left us …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Pint

Well done guys! An astonishing job.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

A typewriter ? Really ?

There is probably not a single piece of that thing that you can use to make anything else but a typewriter.

I despise this bespoke transformation of my childhood imagination.

You want to build a typewiter ? Use Meccano, that's what it's for.

1. Sceptic Tank Bronze badge
      Stop

Re: A typewriter ? Really ?

Yup. Lego has become more like those aircraft / car / ship models that we used to build.

2. Chris Gray 1

A friend of mine is a Bricklink seller. His comment is that he will likely get a few copies of the typewriter set for the parts to sell in his store. True Lego builders can find strange uses for virtually any part, quite different from its use in any Lego set.

I bought the set myself. The final product looks good, and has some quite interesting Technic mechanisms within it. The build is a tricky one - I don't recommend it for beginners.

And no, it is not a working typewriter, but the carriage moves when you press a key, and a ratchet mechanism is used to load the springs that move the carriage. And you can load paper into the roller mechanism.

3. Chris Gray 1
      FAIL

Out of interest, I went to see what new parts the set has (parts that appear only in the typewriter set, possibly only in that set in a specific colour). Look for the "NEW" here:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=21327-1

The sticker sheet is new. Big surprise. All of the keycaps are new. That would be the biggest expense in producing that set. No other part is unique to that set, but the curvy pieces used on the top front are new in the "sand green" colour. A couple of others first appeared in the set in a particular colour, but are also used elsewhere.

For example, the 1x1 brick with axle hole is new in its colours, but it is in no way a special piece. The Technic folks will like it - it will fit in places where the 1x2 brick with axle hole won't, and it aligns the axle on a stud boundary instead of a half-stud boundary.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Please No!

We're only half way through sorting about 40Kg of legos... my son didn't think ahead, he was 9. Love the order of a built and immaculate model! It will be a while before we see one here!

4. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Grumpy Old Man Mode

Very pretty, but these kits are all special parts that can only be used to build versions of Saturn V by following instructions = it's just a 3d jigsaw.

At least if you built them out of toilet roll tubes, yogurt pots and sticky backed plastic some effort, and fun, would be involved.

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

Wernher von Braun pic

There's a picture of Wernher von Braun in his NASA office in his later years. (edit: it's not the one on Wikipedia, it's from a different angle and not so hard cropped, and he's on the phone.)

There's a row of rocket models behind him. I presume they're rockets he's supervised/built/launched and they're all the same scale. They look like the same scale from my piddly little research.

There's a hole in the ceiling to accommodate the Saturn V model.

I always think he was subtly amused by this every time he walked in.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Wernher von Braun pic

this one?

I do like the chutzpah of including the V2 in the line up

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

The first "American" rockets were V2 they disassembled (and crates of unused parts) and took back to the US from Germany, so although the display is possibly a bit odd to modern sensibilities, they are genuinely part of the lineage. I suspect the model in his office had a Stars'n'Stripes decal rather than a swastika on it :-)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>I suspect the model in his office had a Stars'n'Stripes decal rather than a swastika on it :-)

It was in Huntsville Alabama so not so sure. Perhaps they compromised and painted a confederate flag ?

6. Blackjack Silver badge

I have an actual typewriter, so no thanks.

7. 89724102172714182892114I7551670349743096734346773478647892349863592355648544996312855148587659264921 Bronze badge

Nice models! But why were these photos taken with a wide angle lens? Show these off at their best. At 50mm, there's less distortion.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021