back to article UK regulator waves through SK Hynix's $9bn acquisition of Intel's NAND and SSD biz

The UK's Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has given the thumbs-up to SK Hynix's agreed $9bn purchase of Intel's NAND and SSD businesses, ruling that the buyout would have no negative impact on local purchasers. In April, the non-ministerial government department decided to take a further look at the details of the $9bn …

1. Dwarf Silver badge

I don't understand this ..

Given that FLASH is everywhere in all modern devices from tiny microcontrollers and upwards, I can't imagine how it can make sense to sell off a key capability

I'd bet that this isn't a technically driven decision, but probably one from a finance bod who thinks they can make a quick win.. blah, blah, shareholders, blah, returns, new flash car, anyone for a bit of golf ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't understand this ..

You've misunderstood. They are selling off their discrete flash capacity. People can still go to most other pure-play fabs and put their ASIC devices on a technology that has flash capability.

It's so cute watching the CMA think it has any say whatsoever in an American firm selling its Chinese factory to a Korean firm. Aww.

2. Snake Silver badge

Intel hasn't been a major player in the flash SSD world with Samsung and Crucial, never mind even WD, wiping the floor with them. Intel went way too high end for far too long, believing that customers were willing to pay top dollar for a performance advantage that ended up reduced to a consideration of poor value-for-the-dollar thanks to relentless and aggressive R&D development by the other players.

Read that as Intel's flash systems have never been cheap under the assumption of absolute performance. But fewer and fewer people are willing to pay top dollar for the constantly shrinking delta of that performance, as the overall performance of the entire flash market that Intel devices play in is now so acceptable that there are many choices, at several lower price points, that one will be happy with.

They lost the game and are, wisely, stepping out. Has nothing to do with "quick win", just the opposite, get out whilst you still have some type of value left.

3. gandalfcn Silver badge

"I'd bet that this isn't a technically driven decision, but probably" political. UK needs help in the Asia Pacific region.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021