back to article Japan plans remote-controlled robotic space tourism to the ISS and beyond

The International Space Station is getting mobile robot “space avatars” controllable by the public from Earth, courtesy of a joint project between the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and ANA Holdings’ telepresence start-up avatarin. The project will create a virtual remote space tourism experience aimed at those who …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"controllable by the public from Earth"

I sincerely hope that whoever is controlling a remotely-operated sabotage weapon will be under supervision at all times.

1. Dr_N Silver badge

Re: "controllable by the public from Earth"

They need to read William Gibson's "The Peripheral" and/or "Agency".

1. yetanotheraoc

First person shooter is inevitable

At first I thought they were sending robot tourists. Upon reading I see they are offering something from the movie Avatar. This has all kinds of potential, both for robots in space and for humans on the ground. They could make the first video game with an actual point.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Terminator

ROBOT WARS! In SPAAAAAAAACE!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I was thinking "Drones ... in ... spaaaaaace!".

2. HildyJ Silver badge
    WTF?

Silly

There are enough videos from the ISS to keep a "space tourist" occupied for months if not years.

Also, this doesn't seem very aspirational; bragging rights would be very niche and many in that niche (like us) would pooh-pooh it.

Finally, the last thing the astronauts need is a telepresence robot roaming around.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021