back to article Respect in Security initiative aims to build reporting lines for infosec bods suffering harassment at work, conferences and online

A new initiative aims to make it easier to report personal abuse and harassment within the information security industry – without the involvement of social media mobs. Respect in Security, launched today with support from Trend Micro's veep of security research Rik Ferguson, Lisa Forte, a partner at Red Goat Cyber Security …

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Harassement

I initially thought this would be about attempts to get reduced security (contrary to regulations, laws or 'best practice'), by putting pressure on th security person or even downright lying. I once had a salesperson assure me that "the Accreditor said it was ok", despite my repeated requests for an email from them shwoing the Accreditor approved, none was forthcoming - the guy had basically lied to me in the hope I would agree to something insecure (presumably to save some money).

I had no idea of the atrocious sexual harassement described in the article. Deep sympathies to the victims.

1. NetBlackOps Bronze badge

Re: Harassement

Having spent a few yesrs with InoSec Twitter, there are numerous examples just as bad and worse. This is going to take a lot of work to have an effect.

2. big_D Silver badge

Excellent move

I think this is great and wholeheartedly support the initiative.

I was following the initial steps on Twitter last week.

Having been in a (non-sexual) abusive situation in IT, not specifically security, and seeing 3 or 4 of my colleagues have to leave with a nervous breakdown. I managed to get out before it got that bad, but it was still detrimental to my physical and mental health.

At another company, in the UK, back in the 90s (I posted this a couple of weeks back as well), we were working late one night, when the big boss came in and told us to leave, immediately. Sod the customer deadline of tomorrow, he'd deal with that, just go, NOW!

Turned out, one of the lesser managers had gone up to his secretary, opened his trousers and asked her, what she could do with its contents? Good for her, she called her boss for a second opinion. Good for him, he dealt with the situation directly and without any nonsense, he got everybody out, then marched said lesser manager to his desk, he collected his personal possessions, handed in his ID card and was gone... I have no idea what the guy told his fiance, when he got home.

That is how (upper) management should deal with this. No tolerance. I hope, in Lisa's case, she reported the incident to the CEO and HR department of the guy's employer and that he was dealt with swiftly. I have absolutely no idea, how these guys even think they can get away with such behavior. It is utterly reprehensible.

3. Potemkine! Silver badge

The conversation then moved to recorded voice messages being sent to the woman's WhatsApp account. All with the perp's real name attached.

What a stupid jerk. The victim did indeed learn something about that guy: he doesn't practice neither cybersecurity nor intelligence.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021