back to article The framework that will not die: Microsoft gives Web Forms designer fresh lick of paint in Visual Studio 2022

Visual Studio 2022 has a new designer for Web Forms, the original web application framework that goes back to the first release of .NET. The IDE, currently available as Preview 2.0, embeds a feature called Web Live Preview into the designer for ASP.NET Web Forms. The name Live Preview, however, does not do it justice as it is …

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Yes, but... why?

Why are forms so complicated to design in this day and age? There is no damn reason for this.

This kind of crap is Rube Goldberg incarnate.

2. tiggity Silver badge

JS, just say no

"Another issue is that when browser technology charged ahead, trying to avoid JavaScript was the wrong thing to do"

**** off, sites that just give a blank screen with JS turned off are an abomination: A web site should not be broken if JS is disabled, but so often is.

Given that JS is a massive malware vector, the less JS the better.

Especially when so many sites use various CDNs, or "libraries all the way down" with huge scope for a nasty lurking somewhere outside their control (very few sites self host all their own JS, based on my inspection when I decide whether to allow any JS for a visited site)

You might think me paranoid, but there is no denying JS and good computer security are fundamentally incompatible.

3. NerryTutkins

open source it

I am all for MS's more recent open source direction, but I wish they'd open source the NET framework. It wouldn't be such an issue if MS provided a proper upgrade path from web forms to NET 5.

But since they don't, those with web forms apps are going to be royally screwed over.

It would be nice to know those apps can be run for as long as there are people in the community who will keep NET framework properly patched and updated.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like