back to article Teradata customers express terror as field-based hardware support outsourced to IBM on both sides of the pond

Teradata is outsourcing field-based support on both sides of the pond to IBM, much to the alarm of some customers who fear a loss of knowledge in keeping its trusted on-prem systems up and running. The global data warehouse stalwart made its name with tightly integrated software and hardware systems sold as analytics " …

1. Chris G Silver badge

So to keep investors happy, they are upsetting their customers, the source of revenue.

From the looks of it Kyndryl is destined for a low involvement with hardware too so that outsourcing may not turn out too well for the clients either.

1. GruntyMcPugh

I really don't get the 'Kyndryl' name, IBM have a name, and had a reputation, 'Kyndryl' sounds like cough mixture. On "outsourcing may not turn out too well" does it ever turn out well? I got TUPEd to big blue in an outsourcing deal which went sour, and then got cut loose to work on other accounts,... and the list dwindled, and many places started hiring their own IT and bringing it in house again.

1. EricB123

Just read the first two sentences

As soon as I read "Kyndryl' sounds like cough mixture" I upvoted your post. You sound like you really know the situation,

2. Dimento Graven

Things Executives Forget

Just more proof of the pudding that investors don't always have the long term success of your company in mind.

The market is extremely short sighted, much akin to description of taking a mob boss on as a partner in the movie "Good Fellas":

You want to take time to build a solid transition process for your customers to get from on premises to cloud, F'you where's my money?

You want to maintain your field teams to support existing on premises systems, keeping that one major factor that differentiated your company from your competitors, it's amazing world class support and service, F you where's my money?

If the investors think they can get an extra dime out of your company by burning it down today, rather than waiting a year for dollar, investors will not only bring matches, they'll bring flame throwers.

Amazing how so many of the CEOs have been so reactionary to market opinion instead of stepping back from the blathering of market analysts and instead step forward to act as leaders of the market...

Ah well... I guess it's ok to let the market lead to you ruin as long as you've got your own golden parachute, eh?

2. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Trollface

For the worried ones, you should drop a mail to IBM

1. John Miles

I'd go with Snail Mail as likely to get there this year

2. J. Cook Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

ow... soda | nose > keyboard

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Nobody ever told them never to give the customer reason to review the market?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cough mixed Tendrils

TerrorData probably have a chokehold on its customers enough that cost cutting ... I mean cost reduxtion.... centers with enough skin in the game to sign up to cutthroat ... I mean brutal cost reductions ... by way of rewriting agreements ... I mean reaming contracts ... Errrrrrrrrrrrr

So basically gouging customers and while cutting support costs .... Who in the world can hate that??? Also CEOs with fat paychecks and golden handshakes and cash raining parachutes sure wont care about the split beans in the meat grinder of support.

5. Denarius Silver badge

Another one slides into sunset of oblivion

Now TeraData using outsourcery. A suicide attempt IMHO. Was an interesting database system in its day.

6. msobkow Bronze badge

I'd be worried about IBM being responsible for *anything* nowadays with all the lawsuits for failure to deliver and failure to execute. I'd much rather have someone *reliable* looking after things, like that nice high school kid down the street who "knows computers." He'd beat the heck out of the last "junior staff" IBM sent to a client site I worked at.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ibm

We are enjoying using our outsourced IBM production services. Most are clueless, except out own tuped team, that is dwindling.

Mission accomplished: it is slightly cheaper, customers are angry and Devs have to spend tons of time doing production work.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What better way to push customers from on-prem to cloud than outsource to someone with as fantastic a track record as IBM/Benadryl, sorry Kyndryl. What other options to customers have other than migrate from Teradata to another cloud player?

1. roblightbody

Exactly. They think they're forcing their on-prem customers onto cloud, but they're actually forcing them to go elsewhere.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've Been Misled

ANYONE going IBM obviously either does not know it's bad reputation or has a *good* reason to do so. Wink, wink, know what I mean. Supply of brown envelopes, anyone?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021