back to article What's this about a lawyer looking for an heir? City of London Police seek IT crew to help crack down on fraud

City of London Police is looking to crack down on cybercrime with the purchase of "next-generation IT services" in the hopes it will beef up the systems supporting Action Fraud and the National Fraud Intelligence Bureau (NFIB). The cops are hoping the suppliers will set up a centralised intelligence function linking reports of …

1. Chris G Silver badge

Happy victims?

"Not only will this service improve the victim experience and satisfaction with the service"

The system will allow victims to learn how and why they were robbed in a seamless and efficient manner and leave them secure in the knowledge that when and if the white collar perps are ever caught, that they will learn something useful like baking bread or making number plates while they are in their open prison.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Happy victims?

If you ever tried to report fraud and somehow managed to talk to a real person, you will likely learn that they act as if they were protecting the perpetrators and making an effort so that you drop your report.

Given how they are interested in actually tackling the fraudsters, I think this is just another coy to make them look busy or give them an excuse "we are still working on the system".

1. sitta_europea

Re: Happy victims?

"If you ever tried to report fraud and somehow managed to talk to a real person, you will likely learn that they act as if they were protecting the perpetrators and making an effort so that you drop your report."

In my business career for more than three decades I reported - or attempted to report - fraud and other 'white collar' crimes to the police. I briefly tried reporting to ActionFraud, before giving up on that bunch of comedians entirely.

The description given by elsergiovolador matches my experiences exactly. I've written a fuller account here in the past, but in general I've found that it's a complete waste of time talking to the police and to ActionFraud about Internet crime.

It was bad enough when fraud involved some personal contact and you were in with a chance of getting the perp to a rendezvous where he could be arrested (I've done that just once, and he did go to prison), but I'm now utterly convinced that the reason there's so much fraud on the Internet is that there's very little risk that the crime will even be seriously investigated, and almost none of getting caught.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hear Dido is available...

3. Cederic Silver badge

Don't help them

Until the police can act in a non-partisan non-political way and stop supporting racist organisations while hiding the corruption in its ranks, just don't help them.

I'm not a supporter of defunding the police, I just don't see them as playing a constructive role in our society.

Not that I ever see them. The three nearest police stations to me have all closed and the only time they've been in the village for the last three years it was to threaten to arrest a woman for walking past a fire engine. On the other side of the road.

4. Intractable Potsherd

Why?

You would have thought they'd have their hands full with investigating government ministers' recent contracts, wouldn't you? Not much need for high-tech stuff there, since they were so fucking blatant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022