back to article Another JEDI saga that doesn't need a sequel: Oracle petitions Supreme Court over Microsoft Pentagon contract

Oracle has filed a fresh petition with the Supreme Court of the United States, opening another chapter in its year-long battle with the Pentagon over the award of a $10bn Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure (JEDI) contract to Microsoft. Big Red had been told by the Federal Circuit in September last year that the Department …

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Like spoilt children

None of the big players will be happy if the other gets it so will just continue to sue in the hope the winner just gives up and pulls out

1. Robert Grant Silver badge

Re: Like spoilt children

It's crazy to award a single supplier. Architect for multicloud (yeah I know it's hard) and then you don't have (and won't build) a single vendor dependency that will require a billion dollar contract to unpick.

1. DS999 Silver badge

I agree, but I think you're engaging in wishful thinking if you believe the DoD would be able to switch sole source cloud providers for a mere billion dollars!

2. myxiplx2

No, there's method to their apparent madness. If they can drag it through the courts for enough years and get the contract voided so the government has to start over it gives them the time they needed to catch up to Amazon and have a better chance to win a second time around.

They couldn't win fair & square, so now they're playing dirty.

1. NetBlackOps

Yep, that's the way it works for pretty much every DoD requests for bid. I track DoD as a matter of course and I've seen this scenario repeated again and again.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: catch up to Amazon?

You seem to be assuming facts not in evidence. There's no catching up to Amazon to be done here; Microsoft won the deal. If anything, both litigants need to catch up with them. The simple truth is that all three offer shoddy, inferior services and the taxpayers are getting fleeced. These legal shenanigans are about others wishing they'd had the chance to do the fleecing.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Pirate

Which one should fail?

That is the big question...

I think I should come down on the side of MS. Oracle just don't know when to give up and go back to shafting everyone in sight. I mean both customers and staff.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Which one should fail?

Because Redmond is all sweetness and light and moons & stars and rainbows and my little pony?

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Megaphone

Compared to Oracle, yes.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It might be entertaining if Oracle got it and then started trying to shaft the DoD. Real tanks on their lawn!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

It is the year 2063

1. Larry Ellison has been cloned.

2. His official corporate title is now CBO (Chief Benefactor Officer) of Oracle.

3. Oracle is retroactively appealing USDOD's decision to award the JEDI cloud contract to Microsoft.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: It is the year 2063

It's the year 2075

1. Infosys buys Microsoft

2. Infosys buys Oracle

3. You have to send a form to your local police station using Royal Infosys Mail (RIM) and hope that jobsworth will stamp the access pad if you want to login to your Windows Orifice.

4. Only way to pay your monthly subscription is to speak to AI for a day to train the datasets. They don't accept money, because all tax loopholes that involve money transfer have been plugged.

5. Due to environment policy you can only take photos that have not already been taken. However the Oracle global picture database has been rebuilding indexes and objects for the last 15 years after it crashed following an accident when someone uploaded a picture of a dress and the AI couldn't decide what colour it was, which caused overheating and a fire on the server island. So all phones have camera app disabled and people can only record sound like it was 1800.

4. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Warning

These big bullies just give a warning for smaller businesses to not apply to any contracts, otherwise they will be sued into bankruptcy.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Warning

That may well be the actual purpose.

Though personally I think it's really because they've got lawyers who need to justify their existence (and ridiculous expenses and pay packets)

5. zuckzuckgo Bronze badge
    Terminator

To boldly go ...

"Another JEDI saga " headline with a Spock teaser image. Sacrilege!

1. MJB7

Re: To boldly go ...

I think it's called "trolling your readership", and they appear to have caught a live one!

2. jake Silver badge

Not sacrilege. Tradition, almost local canon.

Look on the bright side, it could have been a B5 image ... late 2019, wasn't it?

3. Claptrap314 Silver badge

New around here?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022