back to article Google tweaks Android Messages app to auto-classify or auto-delete messages

Google has announced SMS-grooming tech that it will only offer in India. Natalie Naruns, the ad giant’s Product Manager for the Android Messages app, wrote that the company’s Indian users say they get too many messages to manage. The Messages app will therefore classify them automatically into categories including “personal …

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Humans obsolete

It will start with grouping messages.

Prioritising.

Understanding.

Responding.

Introduction of "Auto-pilot mode".

and finally after you paid off your two year contract - you'll get a coupon for euthanasia, since the phone will be able to continue without you.

2. Cuddles

One time passwords

If your phone can run Android 8, it can run the authenticator app of your choice. It's one of the rare cases where the more secure option is also more convenient. Not as good as a hardware token or some other options of course, but it should be far easier to persuade people to actually use. Maybe Google could spend a bit more effort encouraging people to use a better solution rather than developing automated ways to try to cope with the mess created by a worse one.

1. Sitaram Chamarty

Re: One time passwords

That reluctance has nothing to do with google, as the phone provider.

Banks and other such entities would have a much more expensive, and possibly even confusing to many, provisioning workflow if they moved away from SMS.

If you're wondering why TOTP would be confusing, I can only say you're extrapolating from the audience of *this* site.

Also, SMS is not so bad here. There's a rule (law? not sure) that all incoming and outgoing SMSs are blocked for 24 hours on any new SIM activation. Raises the bar quite a bit for SIM jacking attacks.

2. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: One time passwords

Authenticator is great until you get a new phone and it loses all of the bastard data. Again. Because unlike everything else, it doesn't bother syncing with your Google account.

SMS for me.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Restrictions

but asking pre-2017 hardware to do the filtering might a stretch.

I doubt that very much. It would have to be an awful lot of text (> 10 MB) for it to really matter and this would probably be a one-off exercise. The restriction is probably due something like a change in the storage API that would otherwise require more branching in the code.

1. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge

Re: Restrictions

I was wondering how many texts do they send each other if hardware from 2015 can't cope with processing it.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Restrictions

Well, it's not the processing of texts per se, where the SMS-Cs will start struggling long before the phones do, but the analysis of individual texts: scanning, stemming, indexing, filtering, etc. But with each text being about 0.2 kB you'd need around 50,000 before for 10 MB (IO might be more of an issue especially if they're read from the SIM). But the phone has probably become unusable with that volume and storage will be overflowing! And imagine having to click them all away! I remember phones where storage was limited to about 100 texts.

4. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

21st Century communication is bite-sized

In the old days one would concoct messages with all the options listed, the pros and cons of each, and a recommendation. Humans seem to have regressed to goldfish-sized brains. When people communicate now they can seem to only handle one fact at a time. Spell out a range of options and it will involve a barrage of emails back-and-forth which, stitched together give an accurate reconstruction of the original email. And, at the final stage, you get an email asking you to summarise things in one email as the thread is so bloated (yep, had to do one of those today, as it happens).

I think Twitter is to blame.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You were begging for this comment, surely?

Google has announced SMS-grooming tech

Will nobody think of the children?

/s

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like