back to article Google creates 'optimized' Android for one smartphone — that will only be sold in India

Google has revealed that it has created an “optimised” version of Android designed specifically for one phone — a device to be launched in September by Indian carrier Jio. But the ads giant has not said what the new phone means for its other efforts to create a version of Android tailored to deployment in hardware at prices …

1. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

What sort of data limits are those users operating under?

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Android Go and One are not the same

Android One is probably not what they're trying to say. Android One is a program to simplify the software layers above Android so the devices are closer to stock and get updates for a little longer. They probably are talking about Android Go, which is designed for low-spec devices by chopping stuff out until it runs again. An article covering this device on GSM Arena confirms that this device as shown runs some of the apps from Android Go.

On other topics, who thinks the corrections system should be made a web form authenticated by our user accounts rather than a mailto? I'm sure there are users who don't want to send mail from the computer they're reading on, but all of us can use that method.

1. Dinanziame Silver badge

Re: Android Go and One are not the same

There are probably a lot of people trying to report a correction who drop out because of the mailto. But then, I assume a form would attract a lot of spam as well... Maybe with a CAPTCHA?

2. tiggity Silver badge

I never email a correction - web form would get used

3. iron Silver badge

Yup I fail to send a correction every time I see the mailto link is still the required method. Also they don't work for anyone who only uses webmail. It really is time to drag the corrections process out of the 1990s.

1. Excellentsword (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Android Go and One are not the same

I have raised this with tech.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I have raised this with tech."

there is a staffer called Tech?

3. RyokuMas
    Trollface

"Either way, Google seems to be betting that this new device will bring many millions of new users data into its orbit ad delivery profiling systems."

TFTFY

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"an affordable price"

In other words, the marketing department is still trying to find out just how hard they can gouge their new customers and still make bank.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: "an affordable price"

More likely how really bad they can make the specs and still have it sell. The customers will need to buy something, but if it's the cheapest option, they can probably get away with giving it really awful processing and memory. Anyone seen those 4 GB storage / 512 MB RAM Androids that used to exist? I'm imagining something like that.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Meh

Oh...right...

...Jio’s own apps will be integrated...

So less 'optimized', more customised then? The only slight eyebrow-raiser is that a carrier has outsourced their encruftulation of Android to Google, rather than doing it themselves as is more usual.

I suspect the exchange of ${undisclosed_sum} was also involved here.

6. heyrick Silver badge

millions of new users who will experience the internet for the very first time

God help them...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: millions of new users who will experience the internet for the very first time

As it’s India, which god is supposed to help them?

1. MiguelC Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: millions of new users who will experience the internet for the very first time

definitively She Who Is Death

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like