back to article In South Korea the new normal future of work is ... a 52-hour work week! (Down from 68)

South Korea, long known for tolerating extremely long working hours, is on track to reduce the number of hours employers can require from their workforce to 52 per week from July 1st. The government-mandated reduction in working hours was introduced in 2018, when the National Assembly approved a Bill that did away with laws …

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

What a shame! Why not ban child labor while we're at it?

Korea’s birth rate fell 0.84 expected babies per woman in 2020

That's a very good thing! If all countries could do the same, that would help a lot. We are way too many on Earth. Save the planet, don't do babies!

1. Natalie Gritpants Jr Silver badge

0.84 will cause problems in looking after the elderly if it becomes a global trend. 0.95 for a few centuries, then back to 1 would reduce the population to something more sustainable. Unless you want us to go extinct. If your countries R rate is too far below 1 you will have to allow immigration is large numbers in order to look after all the oldies.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm afraid you've not quite grasped the problem. With the current state of gendered human reproduction, where you need two persons to get one baby, the right number of babies a woman should have to ensure a population's stability is *2.1*, not 1 (exactly 2 is not enough).

So they're really in deep shit.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Well if you're going to insist that men can't have babies Reg

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

But Loretta, you don't have a womb.

Don't you oppress me !

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
                Childcatcher

I'm not oppressing you, Stan -- you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?

2. Potemkine! Silver badge

To look after all the oldies.

Wasn't coronavirus designed for that?

Unfortunately this is SE Asia so they all wore masks and isolated instead of going to rallies to scream about conspiracy theories

2. the Kris

Fell 0.84 or fell to 0.84?

2. Blergh

I've never really understood what the difference is between 1 person working 80 hours a week and 2 people working 40 hours a week (assuming pay reflects the number of hours worked).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wages, yes - especially if there is no overtime rate.

However the Company likely has other overheads on a per-employee basis.

2. First Light Silver badge

I suspect the quality of work performed after 50 hours would decline. Two people doing the 80 hours rather than one person will probably do a better job of it.

The quality of the work rarely matters.

If you are a HR middle manager at Hyundai the quality of your minions work doesn't exactly sway the share price. But showing a busy office of drones all working at 10pm to your bosses - shows what an effective manager you are.

3. AVR

Power and control, also I wouldn't be surprised if some of these people were paid a fixed salary rather than by the hour.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

I've never really understood what the difference is between 1 person working 80 hours a week and 2 people working 40 hours a week (assuming pay reflects the number of hours worked).

Reality is quite different: the point is having 1 person working 80 hours a week paid the same as 1 working 40 hours a week.

3. W.S.Gosset Silver badge
    Windows

Pfft

Lightweights

4. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Childcatcher

I Admit

I read it as "a whipping 68 hours a week of work".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021