back to article Bad Apple Safari update breaks IndexedDB JavaScript API, upsets web apps

Apple's WebKit team has managed to break the popular IndexedDB JavaScript API in the latest version of Safari (14.1.1) on macOS 11.4 and iOS 14.6. The bug, first reported on June 2, 2021, only manifests when applications first try to use IndexedDB NoSQL manager to store data. Reloading a web page or app implementing the API …

1. Sgt_Oddball Silver badge
    Windows

You also forgot to mention...

Some of the Apple safari only API's they have as well like the one for Apple pay (that they give non-accessible, non-A11y compliant developer instructions for...).

It's also been about a year or two since I started thinking of safari in the same light as IE which is some feat I can tell you (though nothing truly forgives IE6).

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"This should have been caught by basic unit testing."

But it was : the basic unit being - the user.

As for Apple forcing encouraging developers to create apps that Apple can shamelessly cream the profit from, gosh, I wonder how that came about.

3. b0llchit Silver badge
    Joke

A sarcastic view may be that Apple has not received a 30% cut of those using the IndexedDB feature. No pay means no game on iPlayStuff.

The problem is that my sarcastic and often pessimistic views (or sometimes paranoid views) are underestimating reality. That is the scary part.

<tong in cheek> <cross fingers> <sacrifice $diety preferred animal>

4. DS999 Silver badge

Of course Google software engineers want Apple to implement more features

Google is pushing disastrously bad for privacy/security stuff into standards like WebUSB. Who the hell asked for web sites to be able to directly access a USB drive?

Good on Apple (and Firefox) for refusing to implement all the cruft Google is ramming through the standards bodies!

5. fidodogbreath Silver badge

how incomplete the implementations are, like for media playback and WebRTC

IMHO, those particular shortcomings are a feature, not a bug. Among the first things I do after installing any browser are to disable WebRTC and all forms of media autoplay.

1. big_D Silver badge

There is a difference between auto playback and playback not being possible, at all...

I agree, no page should autoplay any content, especially adverts. But ignoring standards that allow media to be played at all is a very different kettle of fish.

6. HildyJ Silver badge
    Devil

Another brick in the wall

"The Webkit team keeps shipping critical storage-related bugs into production, again and again,"

We don't need no self control.

7. YetAnotherJoeBlow Bronze badge

"Who the hell asked for web sites to be able to directly access a USB drive?"

I was wondering the same.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021