back to article They think it's all over. It's not now: US judge rejects HPE motion to have Oracle's Solaris sueball dismissed

A US judge has denied HPE's motion for a summary judgement in its long-running Solaris operating system support squabble with Oracle. The original lawsuit had accused Hewlett Packard Enterprise of selling unauthorized updates to the Oracle software. The order [PDF] means the case stands every chance of rumbling on a good …

1. teknopaul

Shame Oracle ended up with Solaris, it was good for a while.

It's clearly dangerous to be anywhere near Oracle these days. Including Java.

1. Julz

It always has been ;(

2. DougMac

Clearly Oracle had no pretense to keep Solaris running for anything but their narrow vertical market.

As much as I loath Oracle for almost everything, I think for this case, they have a pretty solid leg to stand on.

HPe signs up for one support contract, and then resells the benefits it receives to all it's customers as its' own maintenance, in clear defiance of the terms of service of the original support contract.

2. Velv
    Pirate

"If you could go back in time and say one thing to your teenage self:"

Become a corporate lawyer.

I seriously wonder just how much money both sides have pissed against the wall on this one, and an agreement over a one off fee for supplying the patches would have been tiny in comparison.

1. JacobZ

Or don't

Seriously, don't become a corporate lawyer. Every single one I have ever met has been completely miserable and regrets their career choice.

1. Intractable Potsherd

Re: Or don't

I know one happy corporate lawyer (used to be a student of mine), but, in general, once any lawyer gets into the big cases (public, criminal or private law, it makes no difference), the effect on personal life is huge, and leads to all sorts of unhappiness and ill-health. The happiest lawyers I know are those that stay in small, local firms.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Yeah. The happiest lawyers I know mostly rarely practice law and instead work in other disciplines, such as teaching, though they maintain their membership in the bar so they can help friends and family members with legal matters.

The others do practice law but mostly do probate work out of personal or small firms.

I can see that working on big cases could be interesting for a while, if that's the sort of thing your personality fits – some of the same pressure as working for a software startup, say. But it does seem like it would be very difficult to sustain.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

That Echo's my experience, my daughter started her legal career in a small but very well thought of practice in Manchester and has moved through several companies before getting a job at a large London law firm. She's since moved a couple of times but the reality is that they believe they own her 24/7.

She's earning a huge salary but spends a huge proportion on accommodation, cleaners etc. as she never has time to do the ordinary household chores. She does have fun occasionally but gors through far more miserable periods than anyone should have to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like