back to article As so many people work away from the office, Wi-Fi 6E is perfectly timed for connected homes, other wireless apps

Wi-Fi 6E – the Wi-Fi Alliance’s extension of the 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) standard to use the 6 GHz band – is a timely and significant step toward enabling congestion-free and reliable connectivity. It will also serve as an immense impetus for wireless innovation in the connected home through the current COVID-19 pandemic. Growing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roland6 Silver badge

congestion in both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands

Whilst there has been an increase in the number of devices people are wanting to connect, I suspect the biggest cause of congestion is the hubs supplied by the major operators.

In the 2.4Ghz band, they persist in only using 3 channels when (outside of the US) there are four decent channels and with modern MIMO radio design a greater level of overlap is possible without incurring a significant increase in the error rate.

Additionally, I see hubs such as the BT/EE Smart Hub limiting the 5Ghz band to 4 channels.

So I anticipate these devices will similarly limit access and thus effective utilization of the 6Ghz band to 4 non-overlapping channels...

Interestingly, the simplest way to increase available WiFi bandwidth in thehome is to install multiple AP's, just like businesses...

1. bdg2

Re: congestion in both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands

Do you mean using channels 1, 5, 9 and 13 rather than just 1, 6 and 11 in the 2.4GHz band?

Yes, I've heard that usually works well if everything in range can agree on it.

In the UK most 5GHz Wi-Fi when set to automatically choose a channel will try the lowest channels first (the 80MHz block formed from channels 36, 40, 44 and 48) because those are the only channels where DFS rules do not apply. These rules mean that with all the rest of the 5GHz channels you have to listen and check for absence of radar signals before and while using them. Even if you configure a UK Wi-Fi access point to use higher channels interference that makes the device "think" it hears radar signals can send it back down to channel 36.

2. sanmigueelbeer Silver badge

Just plain WiFi is enough: In our place of work, we could not find any result or client feedback to support the theory that 802.11ac wireless clients are "happier" than just plain 802.11n.

Next, 802.11ax or 802.11axe is not as simple as like-for-like replacement of the AP. The LAN needs to be upgraded too.

Finally, to get a true experience of 802.11ax or 802.11axe, my wireless device must have the right amount of antennas but the CPU power to process the high traffic. And by talking CPU, I am also going to include battery life as well as CPU cooling.

Downvote me for this, however, in 2018, I spoke to a product manager (from a large networking manufacturer) a brand new AP model that supports 802.11ax. Jokingly, I asked him why.

"Because," he said, "if we do not release one, we would get laughed at" (by the customer and other competitors).

With the price of networking kit going up-and-up how many companies, in this COVID "generation", can afford this kit?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021