back to article Perseverance Mars rover sets off on its first mission, to boldly drill and return samples as no rover has drilled before

NASA has finished the Perseverance Mars rover's post-landing shakedown and the vehicle has therefore embarked on its first sample collection mission, the space agency confirmed on Wednesday. The six-wheeled nuclear-powered vehicle has been shuffling about the Jezero crater testing its instruments since it landed in February. …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Go Persy !

Science is going to go forward again. Great news !

Let's hope that Zhurong will find interesting things as well.

Exciting times.

2. Roger Kynaston

Inspirational stuff

The recent interplanetary missions have inspired me to embark on a second undergraduate degree with the OU - late in life and I think I will do astronomy and planetary science. Who knows perhaps ESA will want a retirement age geek in a few years time!

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Inspirational stuff

Good for you - go for it!

Although this was definitely not up at the undergraduate level, about 24 years ago I took an Astronomy GCSE evening class at the local school and sat a proper exam at the end. Afterwards, people found it amusing and possibly appropriate that I managed to achieve a grade of A* (pronounced A 'star').

2. RegGuy1 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Inspirational stuff

ESA = Gaia.

Wow, wow, wow!

3. Dr. G. Freeman

Hope they both get interesting results, which means more probes, landers, and hopefully humans finally getting there.

4. DJV Silver badge

Water

"The Zhurong rover is a little to the south and is now roaming around the large impact basin, where it'll be trying to find liquid water."

They should have let it take a water bottle with it if they knew it was going to get thirsty!

1. saxicola

Re: Water

But make sure it's not more than 100ml.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Water

Well, that goes without spraying!

5. Sammy Smalls
    Black Helicopters

So they're already spying on each other on another planet!

I'm not sure sharks with frikkin lasers are going to work very well on Mars.

1. batfink

Re: So they're already spying on each other on another planet!

Not a problem. Martian sharks. Clearly.

1. Tom 7

Re: So they're already spying on each other on another planet!

Columbian Martian Sharks?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Incorrect terminology!

Sorry to be Mrs Pedantic here, but in the paragraph

"The six-wheeled nuclear-powered vehicle has been shuffling about the Jezero crater testing its instruments since it landed in February. Perseverance tested its hardware and shepherded the world’s first interplanetary helicopter, Ingenuity, sending it zipping through the Martian atmosphere."

Shouldn't that have been, according to the El Reg Soviet's standards for prose and vocabulary "six-wheeled, laser-armed nuclear trundlebot", and I can't think of how to phrase it, but I'm sure there should be a reference to Black Helicopters somewhere when taking about Ingenuity, surely?

Mine's the one with the bottle of red and green stripey tablets in the right-hand pocket..

7. x 7

Do you think they'll tell us when they find the Rock Snakes?

The "rock samples" are really baby rock snakes for use in military research.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like