back to article SK Hynix admits to DRAM defects, smacks down rumour it botched big batches

South Korean chip maker SK Hynix has admitted some of its DRAM components included defects, though it says accounts of the issue are overblown. In a statement to The Register, the manufacturer wrote: “We can confirm that a defect was found in a few DRAM products. “We're currently talking to a limited number of customers …

1. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

I doubt they "forgot" to test. Rather they relaxed standards a bit as the component shortage has relaxed buyers standards.

1. Steve Bannon's Yoga Guru

No way that's the case. It's much more expensive to eat these parts when they're in the field already.

Most likely they discovered a latent manufacturing defect due to an equipment failure.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Oh dearie dearie me

Quote, We're currently talking to a limited number of customers affected by this to address the issue. While it’s too early to estimate the potential losses, we don't think they would be that significant as the defect is within the range of typical quality issue check. Unquote.

Now there is a statement just begging for trouble.

If I was a customer that has been affected by whatever the problem is, I would remind this person that I would decide how significant the effects were. I would also want to know why a "typical" quality check did not pick it up.

And as for asking the police to find the source of the "gossip". I can't remember the saying but I do know it cntains the words "protest too much"

3. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: "The company has therefore requested a police investigation into whoever is spreading this gossip."

Yes, please shoot the messenger

4. MiguelDelRio
    Alert

Problems using an SSD drive directory for Microsoft Advanced Search Indexer Settings

Noticed that Microsoft Indexer increments index file prefixes very quickly when using an SK Hynix SSD. This after many attempts at re-indexing to be able to search for files.

Problem went away when using a secondary HD for the index.

The auto-increment occurred even when no files were being simultaneously deleted or created. Once the "D:" drive used instead, the auto-increment stopped and all of the files could be found using the File Manager's advanced search filter without having to continuously re-index the file system.

Roomie has used an SK Hynix SSD for years w/o incident, though, an HD is probably not a bad idea in general for this constantly changing index.

Don't want to know the number of remap sectors used for this search index when bad sectors needed to be error corrected and moved by the hardware under normal TBW/DWPD operation w/o defects.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like