back to article Facebook faces competition enquiry on two fronts as EU and UK officials scrutinise its ad data

Facebook is facing a twin investigation by UK and EU officials into allegations that it breached competition rules by using data gathered from advertisers on its social media network to compete with rivals. The formal investigation launched today by the European Commission will also look at whether Facebook “ties its online …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not crying for Facebook, but they better ready their wallet. Vestager doesn't start investigations unless she fully intends to get her pound of flesh.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Facepalm can afford to shed a few pounds, providing there's no remedies attached that would prevent them from hoovering up zettabytes of people's personal information for fun & profit. So if the case(s) go anywhere, I'd expect the deal to be a few billion in 'penalties', in exchange for carrying on mostly as before.

Also suprised why there was official suprise about the way Facepalm heavily promoted it's single-sign on system, especially pitched at public sector customers. What better way to link data than becoming the official way to link data to people, and help lock them into the Facepalm ecosystem.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

"data should not be used in ways that distort competition"

I applaud that declaration without reserve.

I look forward to the legal definition of data distorting competition. I don't think we have one yet.

3. mickaroo
    WTF?

Is the Facebook Handle "Anonymous Coward" Already Taken?

I shall have to open a Facebook account.

I read these articles and realize that I have NO FECKIN' IDEA what you're talking about. On the other hand, ignorance may be bliss...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021