back to article Latest on iCloud storage 'outsourcing' lawsuit against Apple: Damages class certified

A US judge has approved a limited class action against Apple for breach of contract following a complaint that its iCloud used third-party servers, including "cloud storage facilities belonging to Amazon, Microsoft, or Google," to host customers' data rather than using its own machines. The case – which has been running since …

1. Notas Badoff

"The Reg has asked Apple for comment."

Who would reply (if they replied) that you should ask Amazon, as they would have that information. Because...

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Re: "The Reg has asked Apple for comment."

I always like it when they end the article with a joke.

2. John Robson Silver badge

Read it and weep

""When iCloud is enabled, your content will be automatically sent to and stored by Apple.""

Doesn't say stored *at* apple, only *by* them...

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Read it and weep

Perhaps they need to rebrand their service as ACloud.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Read it and weep

I disagree. It implies that Apple runs the system on which it is stored, which they do. It is encrypted as well for security. It doesn't suggest where Apple stores it, and renting servers from Amazon and storing it there doesn't change that. If I contracted you to store some data, then sued you because the building you put the tape in was rented from someone else, does that logic make sense?

3. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

The Cloud is infinite

Just apply Hilbert's Paradox to free up some room for new data.

4. DS999 Silver badge

It is "stored by Apple"

Where it is physically stored is irrelevant, as Apple holds the encryption keys - and some data is further encrypted with the phone's device key so even Apple can't read it.

This is going to be thrown out of court pretty quickly, it is obvious ambulance chasing lawyers are behind this one.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Re: It is "stored by Apple"

They only said they'll store it. Do check the T&Cs to see if they will allow you to retrieve it, and at what cost

2. Ace2 Silver badge

Re: It is "stored by Apple"

Aren’t they already past that point though? Getting certified means they must have some sort of chance of success.

I am generally pro-class action but this one is seriously stupid.

“YOU MEAN MY GENUINE CHEVY REPLACEMENT PARTS WERE MADE BY DELPHI? I’M SUING!”

5. TimMaher Silver badge
    Coat

The Great Escape

What has Steve McQueen got to do with this?

Well, this is obviously sleight of hand by Apple.

Mine’s the one with the soil in all the pockets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Great Escape

Maybe the systems are connected via Lightning connectors - Lightning McQueen...

6. Bernard

I’m all for holding the tech giants accountable for their crap

but this lawsuit is ludicrous.

They bought a service from Apple and Apple is providing it.

Unless some key detail is missing here then the plaintiffs suffered zero harm as a result of the end location of the data and Apple made no commitment that the data hosting would be done in an Apple datacentre.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple lawyers seem to be saying...

that the lawsuit can't move forward (with, say, discovery) because the plaintiffs couldn't prove whose servers their data was stored on. Isn't that what "discovery" is for?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like