back to article Mobile network sleuths rank UK carriers in 5G performance study, including new 'Everyday 5G' category

Months after spending £452m on 5G spectrum, EE has again come out top in the 5G performance leader table, according to the latest report from network sniffers IHS Markit RootMetrics. During H1 2021, RootMetrics looked at the availability and performance of 5G across all carriers in four English cities: London, Bristol, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First half of 2021?

"During H1 2021" - doesn't that run though to 2021-06-30?

I've been monitoring 5G at a location in Moorgate where I have worked every Tuesday. Speed and latency figures have steadily got worse since January - presumably as more people return to work?

Speed has typically halved and latency doubled as of last week - and the City is only about 25% back to pre-plague levels.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What will that speed be used for? 8k stream on a phone FFS?

1. Danny 14

exactly. i can see a use for a portable 5g wifi brick but not a phone.

3. mark l 2 Silver badge

I have yet to see any compelling use case for spending more on a 5G capable phone and a 5G mobile plan to encourage me to switch yet. Even the EE ads are all CGI and not actually showing a real use scenario. Incentives such as to be able to download a whole 4K movie in a few seconds, does not appeal as I see no need to have 4K movies phone, when you would barely notice the difference between 4K and 720p on a 6 inch screen.

My phone will due to be replaced within the next 6 to 8 months and if I can get a 5G capable handset for the same price and the 4G version ill get a 5G one but I won't be paying extra to get a 5G data plan as just wouldn't get the benefits.

1. Danny 14

who downloads whole movies on data? even uaing netflix caching on my modest 64gb+128gb phone i wouldn't get far. plus i do that on wifi.

if pushed my 62mb 4g+ is better than the majority of FttC houses near me.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>but I won't be paying extra to get a 5G data plan as just wouldn't get the benefits.

Currently, EE are promoting 5G data plans: before Christmas a reasonable 4G unlimited calls/text and 4GB was around £25pcm, today they are selling the 5G variant which has 120GB of data for £23pcm and unlimited data for £28pcm...

1. Zalaur

I have a pixel 4a 5G, no 5g data plan, was in a town nearby, did a speed test on 5G, got 390 plus mbps download, 23ms latency, which granted is high but still. this is 50 odd miles out of London.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like