back to article Keeping track of one cloud provider's data products is a 'full-time job' so forget mixing and matching, says Gartner

Analyst house Gartner has warned users not to mix and match data management products from the three largest cloud hyperscalers. With AWS, Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform leading the pack, cloud infrastructure providers saw spending hit $41.8bn in Q1, 35 per cent up on a year earlier according to Canalys. While …

1. Peter-Waterman1

Cloud choice

I have a real issue when people start saying you need to chose a cloud provider based on if your an open source company, or Microsoft shop or some other characteristic. You should chose a provider based on your needs, their uptime record, choice of services, price, track record of killing services, ease of use. To say that if your open source you should go to Google is a ridiculous statement. I can see that if your a Microsoft shop you may have a preference for Microsoft, but at the same time all the top three offer a bunch of integrated services for windows so I wouldn’t make my cloud choice based on I’m a Microsoft shop therefore I need to go to azure. You are choosing your infrastructure provider, it has less to do with your application type but more to do with who runs their infrastructure better.

2. FrenchFries!

Gartner

Heh. Another genius report from Gartner.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Gartner analyst saying exactly what Amazon and Microsoft would want him to say? Well colour me totally flipping shocked.

4. trevorde Silver badge

Meanwhile at Oracle...

Larry Ellison: Time for another license audit for our customers

[goes back to mega yacht catalogue]

5. a_yank_lurker

Really?

For most using one cloud provider probably is the sensible option. And for many it probably does not really matter which one. But there will be a few who should use specific tools from each provider. It is more about knowing what each offers and what your needs are than reading some drivel from Gartner.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

A Full Time Job

Once again, Gartner is charging its customers for stating the obvious.

Understanding a cloud provider's strengths and weaknesses is hard enough. Adding in an understanding of their tools is exponentially harder.

That is why many smaller companies just pick one and hope for the best. And, if they're realistic, expect the worst.

7. Ken G Silver badge

region, language and culture

I know cloud is everywhere but it actually does matter where your data is held, which for most of us (yes Britain, you're special) means in the EU and while all the vendors offer EU regions, a lot comes down to the local sales teams in terms of how well they know the local markets and whether they can provide contracts in the local language and respecting local regulatory requirements.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like