back to article Intel throws sand in the face of 'musclebooks' with 10nm Tiger Lake tech

Intel is talking up a new generation of laptop and mobile workstation CPUs that it says will deliver modest performance gains and lighten laptops for power users. The new Tiger Lake processor range – officially the 11th-generation Core H – is built on a 10nm process and employs Willow Cove cores. PCIe4 and Wi-Fi 6 are …

1. J27

Damn those AMD based "Musclebooks" like the Asus Zephyrus G14, you can throw your back out carrying them they're so heavy! 3.5lbs? How am I going to carry that?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Texas solution: Eat enough burgers that an extra 3.5lbs is a rounding error on your svelt 350lb frame.

2. Ian Bush
      Boffin

Well to convert the archaic units to something I understand that's 0.38Jb (https://www.theregister.com/2007/10/28/additional_reg_standards/). Nope, not going to put my back out.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"a new PC will be faster and smaller and lighter"

I don't want my laptop to be smaller.

I want my 17" screen.

I want 6 USB 3.0 ports.

I want a DVD/RW drive.

These requirements preclude you shrinking a laptop to the size of mobile phone.

Stop trying.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: "a new PC will be faster and smaller and lighter"

I'd like to add a physical, full sized gigabit ethernet jack, a headphone jack, a full sized SD card reader (you can use an adapter to allow the smaller cards, but you can't go the other direction), and an SVGA port for those damned projectors that haven't been upgraded since before the last ice age.

I don't mind a heavy laptop, I had one of the early Compaq luggables & a Commodore spine crusher as a kid so the kids these days don't know WTF a *real* heavy machine feels like, and all those "Thin & Light" Calvin Kline crack model thingamajigs are so flimsy you don't dare even use one as a coaster.

BAH! Danged whippersnappers anyer newfangled pieces o' shite. Give me a REAL computer, dagnabbit!

*Shakes a palsied fist*

And get offn muh laaaaawn! =-D

And an IEEE-488 port

2. Ken Y-N
        Thumb Up

My under-a-kilo A4-sized Panasonic manages the ethernet, headphones, SD reader, SVGA and HDMI along with 3 USB ports and some other hole with a squiggly logo that I don't recognise.

1. dc_m

That will be your kensington lock slot at a guess.

Don't bother trying to use it, you can break it with your hand!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah, so it's you who manages the ethernet. Can you crank it up some?

:)

3. Wade Burchette

I would much prefer a DisplayPort than VGA/D-Sub or HDMI. DisplayPort can daisy-chain, DisplayPort can convert to VGA or HDMI, and DisplayPort can both daisy-chain and convert to VGA/HDMI. However, HDMI can do none of that.

2. katrinab Silver badge

I got a 2TB SATA SSD with a USB-C to SATA adapter for my external storage. 4.7GB or 8.5GB on a very slow spinning optical disk seems a bit obsolete nowadays.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

I'd like to see you play your CD/DVDs on that external SSD.

1. katrinab Silver badge

All my music is in alac files, and my videos are in mp4 files. Ripped from the relevant bits of plastic, and stored on my NAS.

2. LovesTha

I haven't seen a CD/DVD in years. And even then it was for a legacy reason. I'm very happy drives for them aren't on new computers.

More USB ports would be nice though.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'd just use a USB dvd drive for the once a year I might need to use one. (Thankfully I don't think I've actually needed to in years)

1. katrinab Silver badge
            Paris Hilton

Judging by how deeply mine is buried in The Big Box of Stuff, I haven't used mine in years either. I think it is actually deeper down than the USB floppy drive and USB Zip Drive.

Smugly watching my DVD of Dogma, which is unavailable on all streaming formats or physical media.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

+1 A solid frame and a bigger battery wouldn't hurt even if it added a kilo.

People must be so weak and feeble these days a couple of pounds would do them good.

While we're at it, a standard for swappable laptop components would be great.

4. John Robson Silver badge

With a 17" screen I assert that your device is not a laptop - it's a portable computer.

And those can rightfully have different requirements from a laptop.

If the M1 supported an eGPU then I'd get one pretty fast - I have a little doodad that translates USB-C to a variety of larger ports and takes up less space than a pack of cards, I have an eGPU to attach to my monitor array at home.

Not requiring a power adaptor all day would easily cover the additional "hassle" of carrying a dongle. And I don't need to beef up the whole chassis just to fit the port in...

USB-C might not be perfect for all use cases (in particular I think every manufacturer should adopt a magsafe style connector for power, even alongside USB-C PD), but it's actually extremely capable, and in the case of laptops makes a good deal of sense - you want 6 full sized USB ports? Fine - plug them in. You want HDMI, he wants 10GB ethernet, fine plug them in. You want serious storage capability, plug it in.

The only real question is "how many USB-C ports", and that's fairly easy to vary.

1. katrinab Silver badge

Thunderbolt 3 or 4 is even better. Does everything that USB-C does plus more.

1. John Robson Silver badge

IIRC USB-C is a physical port specification, rather than an electrical one.

USB3 (and all the constantly renamed variants), USB4, Displayport (?), Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 are all possible electrical specifications which can be presented by a USB-C port - in addition, of course to power...

No, it's not confusing at all... < /s>

So yes - I'd like to see widespread adoption of thunderbolt, but not all the ports on every device need to support it (though they do need good labelling - maybe the TB ports could have a little dimple alongside them, and be coloured differently to the USB only ports - remember the green/purple for mouse/keyboard?, or the introduction of blue for USB3 (now called something else)).

For the type of person that "requires" 6 full size USB type A ports on their "laptop", I'd suggest that adding a couple of "only" USB capable USB-C ports is a reasonable choice for a manufacturer.

5. IGotOut Silver badge

Sounds like you want a HP z-book workstation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Intel vs AMD

I spent the weekend looking for a 12 or 16 core CPU that supports PCIv4 and it appears that only AMD supplies such beasts at the moment.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Intel vs AMD

I think 11th gen Intel cores support them, but the most favourable review I saw of those chips described them as “a waste of sand “

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Intel vs AMD

with a max of 8 cores?

4. NATTtrash
    Trollface

Desperate

"In the presentation delivered to The Register, the company's most potent pitch was its characterisation of laptops offered to creative types and workstations as "musclebooks".

Things must be really bad at Intel, and it looks like they are really desperate.

They are talking to El Reg!

5. John Jennings

Bored of this

Innovation that actually makes me want to get one == Nada

Marketing hype == even that appears to be half hearted.

6. Naselus
    Joke

Comparable

"The Core i9-11980HK, for example, is an eight-core 2.6GHz-4.9GHz component touted as outpacing a comparable AMD by around 20 per cent "

'Comparable' in this case meaning 'one from 3 years ago'.

1. katrinab Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Comparable

When did AMD last produce a 10nm chip? That will be the comparable model.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022