Please bring back the headings.

This topic was created by Shadow Systems .

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shadow Systems

Please bring back the headings.

Screen reader users rely on various common section dividers, EG headings, lists, tables, etc, to navigate around a web page. ElReg had a heading that allowed us to quickly find the meta tags involved in the story, where to send corrections, & to participate in the comments. Now that heading is gone & we can't get to that section without having to fumble around the page.

Please restore the headings so we can better use the site, thanks.

In a related issue, there is now no header to announce the related articles bit where ElReg puts the links to stuff that we might also like to read. This makes it impossible for a screen reader user to distinguish what is current article & what is the other links.

Please restore the header so we know that it's no longer part of the active story, or move the entire section to the end after the "post a comment" section. This will make it clear it's not part of the active story & keep us from following what sounds like links for the current story but that turn out to be something else. Thank you.

1. Shadow Systems

Where did "Related stories" header go?

The list of related stories is back to not having a header to identify it as such.

It's just a bare list of story links with nothing to explain that they are related in some way to the current story, but are not part of the story itself.

I hit the list & followed the link thinking I was going to find out more about the current story, only to find myself reading a completely different story.

*Scratches head in confusion* What tha...? *Hits the back arrow*

Ok, back to the current story I'd been reading, manually browse the list, and only then realize it's the "Related Stories" section even though it's not marked as such.

Please give it a "Related Stories" header so it doesn't confuse folks. Thanks.

*Sets out a pitcher to entice the team to make the change*

=-)

2. Marco Fontani (Written by Reg staff)

Hi,

We've added an aria landmark to delineate the "articles under articles" section, which should be read out to you as: "Other stories you might like".

I cannot honestly recall if we've ever had a landmark for the bottom of the article units (which contain the link to corrections, etc). From my own testing, I could quite easily navigate to the corrections, tips and comments link.

Could you let us know if you'd prefer the under-article list of corrections, etc to also get a similar landmark like the one we've just added to the "Other stories you might like" ?

1. Shadow Systems

A header is easier.

An ARIA element doesn't always work, especially if the browser ignores them as a non standard HTML tag. In the vein of "I have no idea WTF that is so I'll ignore it" way of operation.

A heading is standard, always works, & can be jumped to with a single keystroke. I would prefer headers for that reason.

A header to denote "Other stories you might be interested in", a header after to denote that the story resumes, plus a header at the top of the meta tag/corrections/post a comment section, please. Since you've removed the direct link from the top of the story direct to the comments^, a header to find that lower section would be appreciated.

^: I can understand why, it kept folks from knee-jerk-posting without reading the story, but at least put in a header at the top of that section so it can be found at all. As it stands I don't know the story is about to end & that section begin, so by the time I've hit a key to stop the screen reader & head back to the comments bit, I've got to navigate a zillion up-arrows to get back to it.

Thanks for listening & enjoy a pint in gratitude.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: A header is easier.

I've just confirmed over various random stories from today & yesterday that the ARIA bit does not get announced. I get told there's a list of items but nothing to denote what the list is for/about (related stories).

A "Related Stories" header & then another after that section to specify the story continues will always get spoken, can't get ignored by the browser, and is a much less complex HTML tag to implement.

Thanks.

2. jake Silver badge
        Pint

"it kept folks from knee-jerk-posting without reading the story"

Assumes facts not in evidence (You do read the same ElReg commentards that I do, right?) ... but I agree with your points.

For the record, I have good vision, but have several friends who aren't so lucky who enjoy this Red Top. Trying to convince them to post here in agreement.

Keep on keepin' on. This round's on me.

3. anothercynic Silver badge

Agreed. ARIA is nice, but sticking to HTML headers is still best. :-)

3. Marco Fontani (Written by Reg staff)

We're internally discussing this.

One note:

Since you've removed the direct link from the top of the story direct to the comments

This will soon® make a come-back.

4. Miguel Vieira

Hi,

Thanks for reporting on this. We've pushed a few changes that should make things a bit clearer, listing them here for you:

- add 'Other stories you might like' header to denote start of bottom stories list

- add 'Similar topics' header to denote the tags list

- ignore the 'MORE' entry on the 'Similar topics' list

- comments link update to describe the action/link and continues to state the amount of comments, if any.

Let us know if these are working for you.

1. Shadow Systems

Thanks! Pints all around!

I can now find all the bits that help me navigate the site quickly & accurately.

I'll buy the first round at the pub across the street... Last one there has to wear pants! =-D

*Sprints for the pub*

This topic is closed for new posts.