back to article Korean app-maker Scatter Lab fined for using private data to create homophobic and lewd chatbot

South Korea has issued its first ever sanction against an AI technology company for the “indiscreet processing of personal information.” The recipient of the honor is Seoul-based start-up Scatter Lab, who was ordered to pay 103.3 million won (US$93k) for not obtaining proper user permissions. The company illegally harvested …

1. Chris G

Leeches

ScatterLab sounds like a thoroughly nice outfit, another social media company preying on human weaknesses and monetising them.

They got off too lightly.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Re: Leeches

I hear Google are after their empolyees, as they have a dislike for ethical behavior in "AI"

2. Warm Braw

Capitalizing on relationship insecurity

Sounds like they tried to hard. They just needed another app to check if your "partner" had uploaded your private conversations to a third party without your knowledge or consent and the spiral of mistrust could have generated decades of income.

3. Danny Boyd

It's not the first time an AI-powered chat-bot has been shut down because it deviated into not-so-politically-correct speech. Some time ago the same happened to Microsoft's chat bot. So-called "AI" systems have no intelligence despite the name (although they are artificial, no doubt about that), their "speech" comes from statistical analysis of the speech of human inter-actors. In a way, the poor tensor processors are good at reflecting the general mood of the crowd, nothing more.

So who is to blame? Where do you think a simple, stupid chat-bots learned the hate speech? Of course, you can break the mirror if you don't like what you see, but your face will still be the same.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Devil

I'm lovely. And anyone who says different can fuck right off!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@I ain't Spartacus

Ok, I'll get my coat...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Ok, I'll get my coat...

I'm fucking lovely, and anyone who says fucking different can... Stay right here!

4. David Austin

Paid for service?

They haven't even got the excuse of "If you're not paying for it, you are the product" some other social sites have...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They should have

just uploaded it as a quiz to Facebook. Zuck would not have minded. After all, he thinks everyone should be open about everything. Excluding himself and his family of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They should have

"Excluding himself and his family of course."

A trait he shares with Tony Bliar and Gordon Brown as proved when they tried to impose Identity Cards on the UK whilst declaring that MPs would be the only people not required by law to have them.

Anon cos Mr Fawkes seems somewhat appropriate.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

The difference being that the ID card would only have granted the authorities access to information they already store about you. Facebook et al get you to share it,along with a whole load of other data you likely aren’t aware you are sharing, some of which is personal.

I’m not a fan of ID cards at all, but they aren’t nearly as insidious as social media..

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

I imagine the elderly black folk suddenly evicted from Britain after 40 years because "hostile environment" polled well with Telegraph readers might take a different view on whether lack of an ID card is a good thing.

Same for the folk who will be turned away from polling booths in the upcoming local elections for not having any, or who are eyed suspiciously by landlords because they talk a bit funny or look just a bit too dusky for comfort.

The rest of Europe manages quite well with ID cards and tends to sit politically to the left of the UK. So it's all well and good banging on about civil liberties, but it seems to me that the lack of an ID card is also quite effective at disenfranchising Britons. A voluntary one would probably solve more problems than it causes.

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

A voluntary one would probably solve more problems than it causes

If it is going to be voluntary we don't need another one. A driving licence, proof of age card, work ID, anything really would be perfectly sufficient for 90% of uses.

M.

2. Martin
        FAIL

...Tony Bliar...

FFS.

It's not funny, and it's no longer clever. Just give him his name.

6. Arthur the cat Silver badge

"she also leaked personal data"

Eeuugh!

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Joke

Re: "she also leaked personal data"

Is the sight of all those 1s and 0s off-putting?

7. CrackedNoggin Bronze badge

"Furthermore, Lee Luda’s training data was uploaded to GitHub thus exposing names, locations, relationship status and even some medical information."

That computer "scientist" needs (potty) training more than the NN.

8. YetAnotherJoeBlow

As usual...

The part I am always waiting for but it never happens is:

...And since your DB was obtained illegally, you must destroy the DB under on-site supervision.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like