back to article Oh no it isn't... Oh yes it is... Microsoft confirms OneDrive lives on under Windows 7

Is the OneDrive desktop sync client supported under Windows 7? Despite evidence to the contrary, it appears so. It's been a few weeks since the issue first reared its ugly head, but Microsoft has finally confirmed to The Register that even though Windows 7 itself is very much out of normal support nowadays, customers hanging …

1. Hubert Cumberdale Silver badge

I guess the question is,

"Why!?"

1. John Riddoch

Re: I guess the question is,

OneDrive is "cloud". Windows is legacy desktop OS. I'd guess MS had a choice:

- continue to support OneDrive on Windows 7, keeping them in their cloud

- try to force the issue of getting them to upgrade to Windows 10, potentially losing a few OneDrive users/customers.

They've obviously decided on the former, prioritizing cloud over the desktop OS business.

2. MacroRodent Silver badge
      Windows

Re: I guess the question is,

> "Why!?"

It's just for me, I'm still running Windows 7 and OneDrive on one old laptop. Very nice of Microsoft!

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    FAIL

Well that's nice...

.. maybe they could make it work on Windows 10 for Educational O365 accounts!

And stop it mangling the contents of desktop Office docs on upload.

And quietly overwriting stuff.

And demanding to be re-logged in all the time.

All reasons why Son removed it from his PC despite school being a Microsoft shop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well that's nice...

What problems are you having? It works perfectly well for me in my education environment. The IAMcloud mapper also works well at mapping the drive.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At work, large UK Gov department, we've had OneDrive borkage all week. We've just been told that there'll be an update starting to roll out from this evening to fix it. It's been a right PITA - and this article seem to exactly describe the problems we've been having with Win7 access to OneDrive (& SharePoint).

4. Orwell

Thanks for the links. OneDrive now working again on both my dual-boot laptops.

Normally boot into Linux Mint but occasionally have to do some O365 stuff for my employer!

W10 no way. When I can't use W7 any more it will be removed!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022