back to article What is it with Facebook and screwing democracies? Now calls for Prime Minister Modi to resign censored in India

Facebook temporarily blocked netizens from viewing posts calling for the resignation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in India as a COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak devastates the nation. Netizens were stunned to find content containing the hashtag #ResignModi were hidden from view for three hours on Wednesday, days after Modi …

1. Steve Aubrey
    Facepalm

The rest of the story

"We temporarily blocked this hashtag by mistake" - and then we got caught.

1. Chris G

Re: The rest of the story

"And of course it is nothing to do with having received Indian government approval for our $5.7Bn investment in India last year."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He who pays the Piper calls the Tune.

Facebook is an Organ Grinder's monkey dancing for it's masters,

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

Pisspoor

That’s just outside Mumbai isn’t it?

I’ll get my Nehru jacket

4. don't you hate it when you lose your account

#nothingtosee

Move along, our PR gods have spoken

5. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Facepalm

The situation in India is heartbreaking.

They were doing quite well for some time, but then the hubris of politicians wanting to hold electioneering rallies and religious gathering going ahead for $DIETY knows reasons led to the depressingly predictable outcome.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Religion is just an excuse.

They have, quite rightly, been doing well. Growing economy etc. But because of the die hard belief in their caste system, those who had something got more, while those who have nothing got less, and don't you dare ever question the logic behind it all. Pictures we see on the TV aren't of those in higher castes as they have the money, and don't believe in helping those below them.

It's sad, incredibly sad, and desperate. But for once, religion isn't to blame with this one. It's man's belief that they're better than someone who has less money than them.

1. Sitaram Chamarty

I wish...

I wish I could say that was entirely true.

I mean, I agree it's not religion. The various religious gathering contributed only a little

But it's not caste either. Wealth and power trump caste any day, yet the Chief Minister of Telangana (KCR) and his son (KTR) are covid-positive.

I can only see elections as the primary problem. I'm also basing my opinion on a couple of very recent news items (27th April; 2 days ago):

- https://indianexpress.com/article/india/as-covid-curve-and-deaths-surged-hardly-a-blip-on-election-commission-radar-7290505/

- https://www.deccanchronicle.com/nation/current-affairs/270421/election-commission-should-be-charged-with-murder-madras-hc.html

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Wolfetone

Are you commenting on India or the United States?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FB aids ascent of repressive governments; repressive governments repress FB

This is possibly not a winning long-term strategy.

7. Naich

Delete Facebook

I deleted my Facebook account 2 weeks ago and haven't missed it at all yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Delete Facebook

I did the same a while ago. The interesting thing is that no-one missed me, either. That tells me that either I'm anti-social and no-one wants to talk to me, or that "keeping in touch" on Facebook bears no relation to actually staying in touch with people. Both are probably true :)

I've also gone further, and deleted Whatsapp (and in fact, gone back to a dumb phone). That one took a while to prepare myself for, which should scare people, because it shows just how much control big tech has over the very idea of having friends.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What took you so long?!

1. Naich

I thought I needed it. I was wrong.

3. Xalran

well can't delete... never had a *Fesse de Bouc* account.

On the side note : according to colleagues I met at work this morning things are bleak in our Indian branch/subsidiary and people there are really worried, and what they are worried about are not work conditions. ( we have a work from home order until end of the year [ for the time being ] with the ability to buy [ and being reimbursed by the company ] desks and borrow from the company chairs, screens, keyboards and mouses. )

8. MajDom

Why do people keep voting themselves out of democracy? Lack of education or engrained submissiveness?

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Unhappy

"Why do people keep voting themselves out of democracy? Lack of education or engrained submissiveness?"

The first one. The populists can sling out convincing lies and half-truths faster than they can be corrected. And even if those lies are corrected afterwards - they mostly won't reach those who believed the lies in the first place.

Also, democracy or a republic isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all. I'm for enlightened absolutism, but an usolved problem lies in the 'power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely' axiom.

What we need is an incorruptible sentient computer as the global ruler working for the good of mankind - Colossus in its namesake book would be great!

1. MajDom

I must admit I've always hoped for an enlightened AI to replace government. But I'm afraid it might end up treating people like we treat ants. And after a week of further growth...like we treat bacteria...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like