back to article REvil ransomware gang claims it stole top-secret tech designs – including Apple lappies – from Quanta Computer

An entity claiming to represent ransomware gang REvil says it has accessed "large quantities of confidential drawings and gigabytes of personal data" from Quanta Computer Incorporated, a Taiwanese manufacturer that builds laptops and other gadgets for the likes of Apple, HPE, Lenovo, Cisco, and plenty of other top-tier tech …

1. karlkarl Silver badge

The z60m is quite nice. It has a titanium lid ;)

I have a z60m and the smaller (IMO more practical) z60t.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/851/2907/320/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Z60t.jpg

The only issues are it is very heavy (breaks straps on my bag). I am also not a massive fan of the slightly rounded corners. Perhaps there for safety.

I do hope some hardware documentation leaks. It should have come with it in the first place! The (Atheros) wifi card also gives me issues on OpenBSD. Perhaps these docs will help clean up some quirks / hacks.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Can you put in an alternative wireless card, or does it play the usual Thinkpad game of halting at POST and warning you about a non-validated card?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I wonder how this is going to pan out

Whatever secrets this gang has got their grubby mitts on, I would be surprised if Apple pays them off.

Waiting for the follow-up article with great interest.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: I wonder how this is going to pan out

If they had schematics for an Apple Car or some other bombshell product Apple might consider paying up (though there is no guarantee the hackers wouldn't still release it, or try to hit them up a second time)

For Macs they won't care. The big secret was the transition to ARM (or rather the timing of it, given that there have been rumors since forever) Is Apple going to care if it leaks out how thin the next Macbook Pro is, or how many USB ports it has, let alone the internal schematics?

3. Bob Nugget

Apple Schematics are everywhere already

Did they really get these?

afaik they have been around for years - just do a google for "Apple <Codename> Schematic" - PDFs, and diagrams galore - they are all over the web. For example "Apple Oroya Schematic filetype:pdf" will find them. I think they are useful if you are doing board repairs or need to source a component, have never needed them myself.

Codename list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apple_codenames

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Harmless still

I'm surprised companies are still being harmless in this. I expect a contract on the gang would be cheaper than paying the ransom.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Harmless still

yah, my thought was that old Zuck could open his coin purse, dangle $10 mill US as a bounty.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2022