back to article 'Unhealthy' Azure Portal instances in UK West take a little lie-down over lunchtime

Microsoft engineers scrambled to improve the health of Azure on Tuesday after the cloud service started looking a bit green around the gills. "We observed a subset of Azure Portal instances in the UK West became unhealthy, causing intermittent issues accessing the Azure Portal," Microsoft told users seeking to understand the …

1. Peter-Waterman1

Im off to AWS.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
      Stop

The phrase my dear late Mum would have used is that they're all much of a muchness

2. The Original Steve

Seemed knackered for me around 11ish this morning and wasn't working until at least 3pm.

Very noticable that it wasn't working even an hour after they announced it was mitigated via Twitter.

I'm the lead consultant on the Azure team for a "cloud" MSP... Productive day!

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: I'm the lead consultant on the Azure team for a "cloud" MSP

Do you advise on how heavy the shackles should be?

3. chuBb.

was down 10:30 for me, portal came back online about 12:30 for me, but has been VERY slow since +5min refreshes on app insights

Powershell was uneffected though, so for anyone moaning how can i manage (at best 50% of the available options via noddy ui) my resources, get some skills and learn powershell, you have had 15+ years

1. Cloud, what..... Sorry... Um... - you just made that up.

But I learnt all that command line cr@p 30 years ago when it was DoS and then Microsoft came along around the time of Windows 3.0 and told me to forget about it as they had something called a GUI. Nowadays they can’t be bothered to code GUI so I have to learn the dam CLI again. - it’s too late for another ponytail.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

meh cli never went away any real windows (admin) work has always involved cmd, standard screening question from me involves dcdiag. "Admins" that cant or wont use a shell are just powerusers in disguise

As for learning powershell no need to learn it if you dont want to write own modules, 99% of batch syntax works as is, you just have unix style piping, redirection, a bunch of super useful cmdlets (utilities) and a non aneurism inducing loop syntax

4. Mike 137 Silver badge

Interesting oxymoron?

"A subset of customers reported difficulty accessing the Azure Portal earlier today. There was no impact to customer services,"

Either the access attempts that failed were totally unnecessary or there was no actual difficulty accessing the portal. Or alternatively, maybe this is just PR bullshit.

1. chuBb.

Re: Interesting oxymoron?

Nope, none of the azure services you can admin via the portal were effected just the admin interface website, powershell worked fine. So no there was no impact on the services you pay for, just the ability to alter service settings, now if you needed to burst scale during the outage i guess thats different (use powershell seriously it takes at most a week of using it instead of the portal and its second nature plus all the public settings are available to you, unlike the subset which the gui is wired up to, and spend enough time doing azure things you will eventually find you have to use powershell for something)

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Windows

Looks like I picked the wrong week

to have to get to grips with PIM in my new role ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like