back to article Far-right internet haven Parler to be allowed back onto Apple's App Store with added content moderation

Parler is set to return to Apple's App Store next week after the social network agreed to moderate hate speech on its platform. In a letter [PDF] to Congress on Monday, Apple's senior director of government affairs in the Americas, Tim Powderly, confirmed a duly updated version of Parler will be allowed into the iGiant's …

1. GraXXoR

At least my...

My Trump loving, “they’re not really vaccines”, “Fauci moved his Corona design lab to China to avoid detection”, “Gates was expelled from India for experimenting on children” spouting wife will be thrilled... le sigh.

1. JDPower666
      Trollface

Re: At least my...

Have you heard of divorce?

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Facepalm

All but the Trump thing is what I also have to live with at the moment. Gates this, Gates that, cabals everywhere, we're doooomed! I tell ya... le sigh? Also a French missus?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Why are you dragging France into this ? Nutjob theories are a US specialty.

In France, we smoke our Gauloises and sip our wine while looking down on all that noise.

Then we go on strike, because.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
          Pint

There are lots of French conspiracy theorists with plenty to say about the US political situation, I know I hear it every day... From my French wife...

No wine icon, so have one of these!

3. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Just so you can have some real knowledge instead of the propaganda you've been consuming you should look up Fauci's record when it comes to the AIDS crisis. The guy was an absolute idiot and his stuck on stupid stance on an AIDS vaccine (when everyone with a clue were telling him it was impossible to create a vaccine for a virus that destroys the immune system) prevented vital therapeutics from being developed in the US. (They were being developed in other countries). He also supported the Lefts block on contact tracing for AIDS which cost thousands of lives.

The guy is not a hero not a competent scientist, he is a political crony who's main concern is his career as a political bureaucrat!

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        FAIL

[citation needed]

I did a quick DDG search, and the biggest anti-Fauci hit piece comes from noted right-wing propaganda outlet AIER. Articles from The Washington Post and LA Times indicate that Fauci was more willing to listen to AIDS activists than older scientists at the NIH and was instrumental in AIDS vaccine research and global AIDS outreach programs.

2. Blackjack Silver badge

So like 30 to 90 days before they get booted again?

1. whoseyourdaddy

That must be a hell gig being a content moderator, stuck between what Apple wants and what Parler wants.

Needs Matt Gaetz problems to keep from falling asleep.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Trollface

I was guessing 30 to 90 minutes... and 30 to 90 seconds before a single post violates all the terms!

3. whoseyourdaddy

Ruh Roh.

Mike Lindell/Pillow guy is trying to get his "thing" up and running.

But, Parler rises from the ashes to take back the minions helpless without an iOS app?

I'll go make popcorn.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

I see a nasty split coming, these loosely connected groups will most likely splinter again and be at each others nads.... a house divided is destined to fall. The clock is counting down.

1. Blackjack Silver badge

The house was always divided, the Republicans who don't like Trump just keep quiet for a while. But the guy is no longer president and Biden is incredibly popular at the moment, not to mention the whole failed revolution a few months ago so Trump is losing more and more support.

1. DS999 Silver badge

I don't know, I don't think Trump lost a whole lot of support - most of the republicans who have distanced themselves from him were holding their nose when he was president but figured "he's better than Hillary". Maybe some no longer think that, but there's a lot of zero sumism in the republican party so if he ran again in 2024 he'd get pretty close to the same backing. Not enough to win though, unless something goes really wrong on the democratic side.

It probably doesn't matter, as he's likely to face more than one trial in the next few years, and even the republican party wouldn't want to risk nominating someone facing years in prison.

Since Trump knows how to work the courts, he'll delay delay delay the start of the trial, and then make multiple frivolous appeals trying to run out the clock on the final verdict before his Big Mac based diet causes a stroke or heart attack. His backup plan is probably fleeing the country to somewhere that won't extradite him.

4. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    FAIL

"Non-partisan"

I hesitate to deploy this initialism lightly, but ...

LOL.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Non-partisan"

"Non-partisan" more than Twitter, definately.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear

Nut-jobs off the starboard bow!

Prepare for boarders.

Man the pumps.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Far Right Parler - Far Left Twitter , does this insantity ever stop

Why has so much common sense been lost, is this just the result of spending days on Social Media Have we forgotten how to live together solely in order to gain some extra likes....

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Re: Far Right Parler - Far Left Twitter , does this insantity ever stop

Sadly, I think you already know the answer to this.

"Common sense" wasn't so much "lost", as never there to begin with. Social media prevalence just gives the incontrovertibly stupid amongst us easier access to a greater range of echo chambers.

7. mark l 2 Silver badge

The law suit against Amazon is dead before it even begins. The Amazon's contract for their hosting is pretty clear then can boot you off AWS without notice should they feel you have breached their T&Cs. And they actually gave warning to Parler on several occasions before they actually shutdown their account, and even allowed them to keep the data so it could be migrated over to another host.

As for AWS colluding with Twitter to de-platform Parler. What would AWS get out of that arrangement? All it would achieve is Amazon would loose out on the revenue from hosting Parler and gain nothing for themselves.

1. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

Correct, the T&C give AWS the power to stop doing business with anyone they want to for basically whatever reason. It was a knee-jerk reaction based on predominantly false information. Just like MLB moving their All Star Game from predominantly black Atlanta to predominantly white Denver based on false information. I doubt they will let Parler back on and I doubt Parler will want to be back on AWS. The optics for AWS are not good, While I doubt it hurts them much I am sure there are some who will think twice about signing up with them.

I also don't see that they benefited from this, but Twitter and Facebook did! 1. They helped gin up the controversy while 2. deflecting attention from the fact that those involved in the Capital Protest used their products far more than Parler and 3. removed a competitor that was rising fast.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In a previous interview with Fox News, Parler’s previous CEO John Matze said the app planned to use algorithms to automatically flag problematic content.

Yeah. Because that method already works so well for Twitter, Facebook, Youtube etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It seems to work well for comments that don't agree with the dynamics of their currently politics.

9. charlieboywoof
    Facepalm

The least "far right" thing i have ever seen in my life

1. Robert Grant

It's just damning by association. As an analogy, guilty people and right-thinking innocent people both want everyone to have a legal defence when accused. Characterising legal defence as a "guilty person protector" would be similar.

10. tekHedd

"We recommend you only run Apps from the play store"

Those of us who run a Google-less Android don't have the Play Store TM, and it's actually quite nice to see an official download of the APK available. I mean, yes, if you're running the play store, you'll want to get apps there because hackers!

I mean, for this app it's largely a moot point but still.

11. HellDeskJockey-ret
    Facepalm

If Parler is far right

Then you must think the Guardian a right wing rag. Also that Justin Trudeau is a responsible conservative. See icon

Actually Parler users are rather angry that Parler is allowing Apple additional censorship. Mark Meckler's announcement was savaged in the comment section. I'm not sure how much the app will be used. Also I suspect that if Apple drops them again they will not care.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like