Re: Have A Pint As I can Only Upvote You Once
are the job sites "taking over" like "big tech" ? I've had similar experiences looking for new contract gigs.
The book "What Color is your Parachute?" [it's about the job hunting process] suggested (a while back) that you do a bit of research and at least find the hiring manager's name, THEN send your resume and a tailored cover letter to him DIRECTLY.
But I think the "Job Site" circle jerk described in the article is an attempt to somehow prevent us from doing the thing that is most likely to get an interview, and INSTEAD justify the existence of a bunch of HR [censored term].
We normally want to:
* Bypass HR
* Communicate with the hiring manager ASAP
* Cut down on B.S. (from THEIR perspective) by quickly presenting yourself in a way that impresses that particular manager.
Instead, you're reduced to:
* HR friendly boiler plates
* HR friendly "your education goes first" resumes (as if pedigrees make you a better employee)
* Focus on HR "requirements" instead of "being someone who gets the job done" [which is what the HIRING MANAGER wants]
* Being circle-jerked around to enter your e-mail address (and phone number) to as MANY lists as possible
This is frustrating for both the HIRING MANAGER _AND_ YOU.
So Thanks, Dabbsy, good article!