back to article Oracle founder Larry Ellison lands on another lily pad, this time an $80m Florida mansion he intends to tear down

After Oracle announced plans to relocate its headquarters from California to Texas, CTO and founder Larry Ellison said he would not be coming along as he's happy in Hawaii. But he has picked a spot a little closer to the Lone Star State, buying a place in Florida. Yes, if reports are anything to go by, the man of many v-neck …

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sea levels

...might help his newly acquired plot get precariously close to the sea.

May be that's the plan - he can then sail right up to the front door in one of his yachts

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Sea levels

And watch his lessor neighbors drown. I'd imagine the new mansion is raised up a bit and has room for water desalination and power generation.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

...or arrive at his newly created private island on his helicopter, since it has a pad an permission to use it.

It's looking more like an investment opportunity. After, beach-front property is peanuts compared to what could well be a private island by 2060.

3. seven of five Silver badge

Or drive the submarine in.

2. Claverhouse Silver badge
    Meh

A Man of Simple Tastes

Obviously there's more to one's home than size --- though I can't think of much --- or maybe he just likes the people in Florida, but if I forked out $80 million I'd want more than 7 bedrooms.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Re: A Man of Simple Tastes

Didn't he do a fund raiser for Trump a couple of years ago?

Now that the Orange "billionaire" is in Palm Beach, may be the Red Billionaire wants to be close. Birds of a feather flock together...

2. HildyJ Silver badge
      Angel

Yes. But you've got friends.

3. Mark 65

I worked out Larry spending $80m on a house is like me spending less than $200.

Money doesn't matter to him other than being a pissing contest with Paul Allen et al, much like yachts are.

3. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Obviously there's more to one's home than size--- though I can't think of much

Location mainly

Garage space

pool table density

plot size

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021