back to article Gitpod ditches Eclipse Theia for Visual Studio Code under redesign, sponsors new dev experience event

Gitpod, which provides remote environments for testing and debugging code, has shifted to Visual Studio Code from Eclipse Theia and is sponsoring a new event called DevX Conf, focused on the developer experience. The idea behind the open-source Gitpod platform is that developers code, build, test, and debug in a remote …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The day a company switches all their tools to web browser based is the day they become worthless and all the developers lose passion and leave.

2. The First Dave

"allowing everyone to use their favourite IDE just makes a lot of sense" - so next week we will be seeing further versions, starting with one based on Vi ?

3. Warm Braw Silver badge

Maintaining a developer machine is hard work and can be fragile

It can, which is why I - in common with many others I assume - tend to have individual VMs with the right environment for specific bits of code and which have the advantage that they're still likely to be around in the form you need them even into the dim and distant future.

That said, I can see the attraction of the concept, even if "gitpod" sounds like the pricey shed in which David Cameron wrote his autobiography.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Windows

"all things which just happen to be in tune with Gitpod's approach"

And just happen to justify its subscription model.

How convenient.

I've been a developer for 25 years now. I don't need no git's pod to do my work in.

Now get off my lawn.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like